Tree ID for potential scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babzog

Oct 25, 2011
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I got a note today for a potential scrounge of 5 downed trees. Went to have a look after work but it was dark so only got a sense of what was there. Looks like 5 trees, about 22" or so at the base, rotted at the base, which is why they went over. The bark is peeling off one in huge sheets. It's very tough bark too and about 3/4" thick. Kinda looks like maple but am not 100% sure. It's got that craggy look like maple .. Maybe even oak? Didn't get a pic bit wondering if there's enough info to make a good guess. I've never seen bark peel like that before.

Maple will have a very distinctive leaf. Might not be any on the tree now but if you look around the yard you may find a leaf or fruit from the tree. The leaf will be palmate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_leaf. Also the fruit will have wings (samara) and they are likely to still be laying in the yard. If the leaf is shaped more like a spade it is likely a cotton wood. Those would be my guesses based on the bark description.

Stands of dead trees suggest maybe Elm (which is dying of Dutch Elm and Elms Yellows diseases), Ash (Emerald ash borer) and maybe oak (dying of oak wilt in some areas, not sure about your area). Of course it could be any type of tree, but those three are the most likely trees to die in groups around my area. All can have deply furrowed bark, I'd say rougher bark than maples.

My WAG is White or Black Ash...

black jack oak has thicker bark. you might google a pic of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.