Tree ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
Beech...right? Just double checking. Thanks! A friend has ~20 acres of pretty thick woods he wants thinned out a little bit and there seems to be a fair number of these trees. We both win....he gets a controlled harvest from me......and I get free firewood. Life is good.

Attachments

• Beech Tree.jpg
    Beech Tree.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 131
Looks like Beech.....peel off some bark, should have that great smell of Beechnut Gum!:cool:

Reactions: smokinj
Looks like beech to me, get all you can. Great BTU's and it seasons relatively fast after being C/S/S.

Reactions: smokinj
I'm no woodland management expert but I think I have read that the Beech can really take over if not kept in check. Just me but I would take the opportunity to learn a bit about proper management, and try to do it right. :cool: I'm just harvesting dead or down trees here at present, so I haven't got to the management stage yet...
At any rate, it sounds like you've hit the jackpot! :)

You are correct sir, that is indeed beech. I have never burned any of it because I can't find one solid enough to fool with.

I have quite a bit of it. It tends to grow in clumps of 3 or 4 and seems like it has decent btu's. Usually quite wet when you cut it, not sure of the drying time, I'm on a 2 year+ drying schedule for all of my wood.

Looks like beech to me too.
When I lived back east, we called them squirrel & bee trees. Hollow in the middle.

This is interesting. I've cut a lot of beech and never saw a hollow one, and never saw one that grew in clump. Different variety maybe?

This is interesting. I've cut a lot of beech and never saw a hollow one, and never saw one that grew in clump. Different variety maybe?
I cut a huge beech last winter, and half of the top was hollow.

+2 on the hollow

Looks like beech from here. Beech is one of my favorites because it has a tight bark and even when the bark comes loose not much mess. Pretty high on the BTU list too. Some of the big beech around here go hollow but not all of them. There have been a few winters when I was blessd to be able to burn beech almost exclusively and once or twice all from 1 tree. Massive trees that is.

Reactions: ScotO
Beech makes excellent firewood but marginal lumber. However, back in the 1950's we lumbered off a woods that was 90% beech and got some decent prices for the lumber. It always smelled good around the mill for sure.

Reactions: ScotO
Ampamp,
My brother burns Beech when he can get it. He lives in the Upper in Michigan where Beech was once very plentiful. Not so any more. Excellant firewood by the way.
take care,
Tim

I'm not sure about lumber, but beech makes a beautiful cabinetry wood and veneer. A friend has all beech cabinets and they look stunning.

i agree BeGreen. Beechwood can be pretty, but in the lumber business most don't want it.

There are customers for beech lumber. It is used alot in wooden toys. The biggest problem with beech is that you can expect 40% loss to degrade(warp,Cup, and serious issues with checking) in the kiln. That is why it is a species with little value to hardwood lumber producers. It has it's most value as firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.