Tree ID please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albert1029

Feeling the Heat
Nov 15, 2011
Southwestern PA
A few years ago a big maple fell with a black locust...I took the locust but didn't see the value in the maple until I started browsing this forum...the cross-section is a little blurry so I included a picture of a few small splits I made of a branch...cutting was relatively easy...started working on it yesterday morning in the rain...thanks

Attachments

• z5.JPG
    z5.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 109
  • z6.JPG
    z6.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 118
  • z4.JPG
    z4.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 101
  • z3.JPG
    z3.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 100
  • z2.JPG
    z2.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 116
  • z1.JPG
    z1.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 104
The leaf says Silver Maple. I see nothing in the other photos that rules out Silver Maple. Silver Maple is one of the 'soft' maples and should be good firewood by next year.

Reactions: albert1029
Sliver maple is nice for this time of year. I have some ready to go now, about 1 cord. And another 36 dbh tree in front of my house that is mostly dead and will come down this winter as soon as I finish splitting what I have bucked already.

Sliver maple is nice for this time of year.
I'm lucky this one came down close to the house....looking forward to using it and I should get almost a cord out of this bad boy...

Albert, that maple will burn fine. Good for you getting it. Looks to be a really nice size too so you get good wood and it piles up a lot faster than cutting the really small trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.