Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I wacked this tree today, NC mountains near Tennessee. 22 inch diameter 90 feet tall. A sickly tree.

Tree ID Tree ID Tree ID Tree ID

Reactions: EbS-P
Yep

X3 Ash

I am thinking ash. The pic on the left is the tree I wacked today. The pic on the right is from a confirmed ash tree. For the tree cut today, the leaves come off of the stalk in alternating fashion. In the pic from the confirmed ash tree, the leaves come off of the stalk directly opposed to one another. Is the tree from today still an ash tree?
The bark and the wood from the tree today do look like ash to me. We didn't cut and split any of the tree today, temp hit 89 degrees and we went inside to drink iced tea.

Tree ID Tree ID

Yep Easy one there Ash. Leaves and sickly tree are dead give away. Although i thought the leaves had to be directly across from each other, I did not notice that they are slightly offset. So i'm not 100% sure.

OK thanks. I love to burn ash. Good firewood and easy to split.

Ash.

I may be wrong but looking closer at the leaf and bark
it is not an Ash. In my small mind, I am going to say, America Elm
The proof will be in the splitting

I may be wrong but looking closer at the leaf and bark
it is not an Ash. In my small mind, I am going to say, America Elm
The proof will be in the splitting
Good eye. Elm has the alternating leaflets shown by the OP. But I don't think it's American Elm, as those leaves are much fatter and noticeably serrated on the edges. It's possible it's one of the many other cultivars of elm, though.

Apologies for not noting and commenting on leaf in post #1. I agree that pic #1 of OP is alternate, compound leaf. Ash is compound opposite leaf, with both leaflets and branching opposite. The depicted (compound) leaf has alternate-pinnatel leaflet arrangement . There is something we're missing here. It kind of looks like picture of walnut leaf, and the picture of log/ wood definitely looks like ash. Were they definitely from the same tree ?
There aren't too many compound leaves (quick rundown): Juglans (walnut & butternut), Ailanthus, tree-of-heaven, Carya (hickories), Fraxinus (ash) Gymnocladus (KY coffeetree), Robina (black locust), Cladrastus (yellowwood).
You can cross off those that don't have ash-like bark.

It can't be elm. Elm is alternate but has a simple leaf arrangement, not a compound leaf.

Reactions: Ashful
I'm sticking with my original call of ash. Although I normally see them with opposite leaflets (aka even pinnate arrangement), a quick search on Google tells me they often (normally?) have alternate pinnatel arrangement.

In the OP, believe me, all 4 pics are from the same tree.

I accept all forms of ash. Please DM me for my home address and you can drop it off any time!

Reactions: Ashful
I want to take the Husqvarna over there today and start carving that tree. I really like to burn ash. However, my brother caught Lyme disease just a week ago, while weedeating just 100 feet from where that tree now lies. Bad year for ticks.
I am going to wait until November to wack that tree, when the ticks are gone. After I get it cut up I will try to remember to run a pickup load full of it up to Massasachusetts.

Sorry to hear that, Lyme is scary best of luck. Good call waiting if you dont need ut now. I will await the shipment!

Massachusetts is way up in Yankeeland. Isn't it part of Prince Edward Island? Do y'all speak English up there?
I think I would need a boat to get that firewood up there.

Yes I'm in the heart of New England. Four distinct seasons and nice and cold in the winter just like I like it! Though lately spring has turned into summer rapidly. I don't do heat. My wife went to Chapel Hill and I always find it unbearable down there from April to October.

Yes, Chapel Hill. It is warm in the Piedmont Plateau in August. I can't stand it. I'm up here in the mountains, it is about 8 degrees cooler than Chapel Hill. We do get 4 seasons up here. I am at 2,000 feet.
Here's the view from my sofa in January.

Tree ID

Yes, Chapel Hill. It is warm in the Piedmont Plateau in August. I can't stand it. I'm up here in the mountains, it is about 8 degrees cooler than Chapel Hill. We do get 4 seasons up here. I am at 2,000 feet.
Here's the view from my sofa in January.

View attachment 296613
Nice, I pulled off a tiny imbedded Nymph tick 2 weeks ago, Got it here in the suburbs the one day i did not wear my permethrin treated clothes. Went to doc and got the 1 day 200 mg doxicyclin dose just to be safe. Turned out it was a lone star nymph but i thought it was a deer tick. Anyway i did not get the id on the tick till 4 days later so that was not a huge help in making the call to get the doxycycline or not. I usually wear shoes, socks, jeans, t shirt all treated with permethrin if i'm doing any cutting when it's above 32F. I know way to many people that have had lyme.