Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddy

Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Got this free score and the guy said it was Hemlock?? Doesn't look like it when I google hemlock. Any ideas? It's a pain to split and isn't very pitchy like a lot of the other firs.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 412
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 399
Pine tree.

If you were on the right coast instead of the left coast I would say you were looking at a tamarack (aka hackmatack or what Mainers call juniper) . . . but as I said we're talking two different coasts with very different trees . . . maybe some folks on your side of the country can give you some answers.

If the needles are in fascicles (litlle sheaths at the base that hold multiple needles) than it is a pine. The number of needles in each fascicle can then help you narrow down the kind of pine it is.

Thanks all!

Well after looking at a larch tree, the needles resemble that more than the pine. They have clusters of several needles on the branches and are light to dark green. Apparently it is in the pine family so everyone is right...:)

Sounds like larch is a good softwood to burn so I consider myself lucky finding this score. I don't care for splitting it though.

I actually found out from a neighbor that this tree is a deodar cedar. Looks very similar to larch. Anyone ever burn it? This sure doesn't or feel like any other cedar I've burned in the past. I only like cedar for kindling. Bummer!

you could fit two hemlock cones on a quarter.

I've burned east coast cedar and can relate to preferring it for kindling.
Burns almost as fast as paper in a coal stove. (hey, it's all I had and I don't like being cold)

Definitely Cedar! The cone looks exactly like the Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar I have in my landscaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.