Tree Job +

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a big oak taken down at the house, and the tree company gave me the locust/cherry/whiteOak they had in the truck from the previous job. My helper and I have some work to do....

wood_2015.jpg

Sweet bonus! I wish tree services would give stuff away around here! They charge customers an arm and a leg to remove them and sell either logs for another arm and a leg, or it cut and split for both arms and both legs. Or they just pay to dump it. I have called several different ones in the area with no success.

Reactions: weatherguy
That is awesome, and I hope you just forgot to leave your hydraulic splitter out of your signature block... ;)

Dude! Those are some giant rounds! Nice score.

Good connection. Let them know that in the future they can drop stuff at your place if they're in the area.

Good connection. Let them know that in the future they can drop stuff at your place if they're in the area.

I have three tree companies that have me on their list. One guy came by when I was at work, and my neighbor grabbed the wood. Honestly, until I process some of this, I can't take more. I know ... its a good problem to have.

Great grab on some great woods! :cool:
I wish tree services would give stuff away around here! They charge customers an arm and a leg to remove them and sell either logs for another arm and a leg, or it cut and split for both arms and both legs. Or they just pay to dump it. I have called several different ones in the area with no success.
I was gonna say 'Freakin' cheap Dutchmen' until you got to the part about them taking it to the dump rather than giving it to you. :confused:

I have three tree companies that have me on their list. One guy came by when I was at work, and my neighbor grabbed the wood. Honestly, until I process some of this, I can't take more. I know ... its a good problem to have.
Yeah - that's the problem, in my experience. If you tell them you can't take any more, they forget about you after that.

I was gonna say 'Freakin' cheap Dutchmen' until you got to the part about them taking it to the dump rather than giving it to you. :confused:

It is rather disappointing because it would be a time saver for me. I can't justify paying for wood as I'm on NG. On the other hand I do enjoy cutting in the woods better anyhow. It just digs into my hunting and fishing more than I'd like. Although now that I'm to the point where I can just cut to replace what I use I'll get some of that time back.

How do you split the big rounds? Log splitter in the vertical position?
As my Dad would often say,"You do that like you eat an elephant...one bite at a time..." (or should I say cut? :))
That being said either go vertical or use a chainsaw to make the rounds more manageable, I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.