Tree Management Paying Dividends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
bearded asil hen 064.jpg

I've been scouting my 15 acres of mature woods for ripe dead wood ready for the harvest. I want the wood to dry relatively fast.....at least faster than oak. With all the talk of walnut, I took a tree this morning that was 85% dead. I cut it down and hauled it back to the house and had most of it split in a short time period. Talk about easy splitting. This stuff split easier than a knife in soft butter. I think it was the easiest I've split so far. Got close to a half cord.

Reactions: ScotO
Does it split easier than ash? We've never had the good fortune of of walnut for firewood, but three black walnuts planted here 10 years ago will be used by someone in the future. Have heard that it burns with a good aroma.

Good days work.
Even the dead standing need time to dry after split & stacked.
Why do you need wood that will dry fast? Need it for this coming Fall/winter?

Walnut is sure a pretty wood :)

Reactions: ScotO
I found it to be the easiest splitting wood I have ever split. It does have a good aroma too.

Gark, it couldn't have been any easier. The rounds split in half clean with no strings and the rest was pie. It didn't have too many knots and you could get close to a knot without too much trouble. I was able to split it small to burn for this coming winter.

I have several cords of walnut from a monster tree we cut this spring. I milled the main logs (two 36" by 10 footers), got around 600 bd/ft of lumber and two cords of firewood from the tops! I wish I had a way to excavate the stump, I would've milled that too, for gunstocks and such. I recently found out about the stumpwood being used for gunstocks (from one of the members on this site) but that was after the fact! Great score, you'll like the wood. Smells great when burning, and it burns alot like ash.....

What really counts in the end is how it burns and how much heat will you get from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.