Tree removal charging more to leave the wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013
Minnesota
During last weeks storm, a coworker had a tree in his yard blow down and get stuck in the crotch of another tree. He hired a tree service to remove the dead tree and when he asked if they could leave the wood (he's a wood burner) they told him they'd charge more to leave the wood. I'd never heard of that before

One of the tree services here does that. The owner has a mill at his house and makes lumber out of the straight stuff and peddles the rest for firewood. Pays to ask'em before ya hire'em.

Wood is valuable. Around here it either goes to lumber mill, chip plant, or gets sold as fire wood.

Even as a contractor, if we're getting into a job with a lot of "still good" wood or cabinets or windows being removed I discuss with the homeowner up front who is keeping what. If I can make a buck on the back end I'll cut em a deal up front, win win.

Another wrinkle along those lines I ran into was couple years ago I hired a tree service(good and cheap) to cut some bad boy trees close to the house. He kept asking multiple times throughout the day if I was sure I wanted all the wood, he knew plenty of people who wanted it. I kept saying can't you see I burn wood, just stack the logs over there close to the burnspot. The year before that my neighbor had this same tree service cut a bunch of trees on him and told the guy that I was promised the logs. This guy went through the same thing with him. I think the tree service guy was on the up and up but just had alot of friends and relatives who wanted easy wood dropped off at their house.....

Status
Not open for further replies.