1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Tree trimming

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Joful, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    So, a friend was looking at my cherry tree, and telling me I need to do some trimming. Apparently late summer is the time to trim a cherry tree, so here we are.

IMG_0741.jpg IMG_0737.jpg

He mentioned the "suckers", sticking straight up out of the tree, saying they need to go. I assume he means these:

Copy of IMG_0737.jpg

Any advice? I know how to prune a tree, but aside from cutting out dead stuff on some healthy trees, have only ever worked on shaping walnuts and pines. I'm not really sure where to start on this one, particularly since most of those "suckers" are very hard to get at, without harming something else. They're really buried in the tree.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    Start with the dead, next the branches that inter fear with each other(rub or wind around) Then the sucker or branches that are growing back into the tree or down. Then I try to give the tree some shape, if there is a questionable branch I pull it back to get an idea of what it would look like without it.
    ScotO and smokinj like this.
  3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Is this tree productive (you eat the fruit) or ornamental? That will make a difference on how to prune it. Either way, wait until February.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    This is just ornamental, and there's no dead in it. All branches are good / viable.

Thanks, guys!
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Only thing I would add that its still in the furit family so open the center up some for more air movement.
    osagebow, ScotO and Joful like this.
  6. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    +1 on waiting till feb (assuming Philly) This will invigorate the tree and it will grow fast, so you can prune pretty heavy. If you ain't worried about cutting too much, you're probably not pruning enough. Branches that cross others or grow down can get clipped too.

I'll take one Pat's, wit onions and provelone, and a Geno's wiz;)
    ScotO and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Thanks, guys! February it is, then.

Two things you can't buy outside the greater Philly / New York area:

1. Good pizza.
    2. A real cheesesteak.

That said, try Tony Luke's. Better than Pat's or Geno's.
  8. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Spent a day on south street selling fruit at a farmers market back in college. Gave a gut 20 bucks to juggle cantalopes and other stuff. for 2 hours Sold out early, did the cheesesteak thing, and split. South Street was awesome -loved every minute!

- And that's coming from a Pittsburgh kid ;)