Tree trimming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, a friend was looking at my cherry tree, and telling me I need to do some trimming. Apparently late summer is the time to trim a cherry tree, so here we are.

IMG_0741.jpg IMG_0737.jpg

He mentioned the "suckers", sticking straight up out of the tree, saying they need to go. I assume he means these:

Copy of IMG_0737.jpg

Any advice? I know how to prune a tree, but aside from cutting out dead stuff on some healthy trees, have only ever worked on shaping walnuts and pines. I'm not really sure where to start on this one, particularly since most of those "suckers" are very hard to get at, without harming something else. They're really buried in the tree.

Start with the dead, next the branches that inter fear with each other(rub or wind around) Then the sucker or branches that are growing back into the tree or down. Then I try to give the tree some shape, if there is a questionable branch I pull it back to get an idea of what it would look like without it.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Is this tree productive (you eat the fruit) or ornamental? That will make a difference on how to prune it. Either way, wait until February.

This is just ornamental, and there's no dead in it. All branches are good / viable.

Thanks, guys!

Start with the dead, next the branches that inter fear with each other(rub or wind around) Then the sucker or branches that are growing back into the tree or down. Then I try to give the tree some shape, if there is a questionable branch I pull it back to get an idea of what it would look like without it.

Only thing I would add that its still in the furit family so open the center up some for more air movement.

+1 on waiting till feb (assuming Philly) This will invigorate the tree and it will grow fast, so you can prune pretty heavy. If you ain't worried about cutting too much, you're probably not pruning enough. Branches that cross others or grow down can get clipped too.

I'll take one Pat's, wit onions and provelone, and a Geno's wiz;)

Thanks, guys! February it is, then.

I'll take one Pat's, wit onions and provelone, and a Geno's wiz;)

Two things you can't buy outside the greater Philly / New York area:

1. Good pizza.
2. A real cheesesteak.

That said, try Tony Luke's. Better than Pat's or Geno's.

Spent a day on south street selling fruit at a farmers market back in college. Gave a gut 20 bucks to juggle cantalopes and other stuff. for 2 hours Sold out early, did the cheesesteak thing, and split. South Street was awesome -loved every minute!

- And that's coming from a Pittsburgh kid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.