Trees by region

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wesessiah

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2012
Lincolnton NC
i'm probably asking too much in this, but does anyone know any websites or databases that list frequency/common trees by regions of a state? i've checked out the sticky with the tree id links etc, but the amount of trees tends to be overwhelming, and some of the id sights end up open ended for me because i just don't know how to tell the difference in a lot of the smaller details that separate trees. i'll go through sites that have hundreds of trees listed, and by the time i've looked through 50 of them. i see 3-4 that could be what i'm looking at, but none of them are supposed to be in my area, and i can't get good pictures of a lot of them with the limbs being so high, i assume because of underbrush that was never taken care of by previous owners. i can successfully identify if something is a type of oak, sweetgum, and tulip poplar (thanks to the helpful people here.) from what i understand, the abundance of oak i have won't be ready to burn efficiently for a minimum of 2 years, so i'd like to be able to look for specific trees that should be around to hopefully have a few cords by next october. thanks for reading.

I have a National Audubon Society- Field Guide to Trees- Eastern Region.

A field guide that you can take out in the woods with you is probably your best bet when learning trees. Like the one mentioned above. Before you know it, you'll be an old pro at telling what tree is what.

I have a National Audubon Society- Field Guide to Trees- Eastern Region.
That's what I've been using. The first section has color plates of the leaves and bark, although bark can be different on limbs than further down on the trunk. Bark can also vary quite a bit on different trees of the same species. The next section has leaf pics which are grouped by type e.g. toothed, lobed, compound leaves etc. Next section is nuts, fruit, cones etc. Then there's a section with autumn leaf color. The last section has a full description of species range, shape, height, leaves, bark, fruit, twig color and habitat. Very useful reference.

Oaks this time of year have acorns- theres a start.

I like it but I stumbled onto it first and have stuck with it, I'm not familiar with other guides that may be out there...

I'd take some flagging tape with you and mark any dead/partially dying trees.
That way when leaves are gone and weather gets cooler your not deciding what to cut first.
Any dead standing pine c/s/s should be ready for shoulder season next year.

I use Peterson's Guide to trees and shrubs. I have an old edition and I think it has changed, but it is nice because it starts by separating trees int ogroups based on simple and fool-proof characteristics like alternate vs opposite leaf arrangement and simple versus compund leaves. Once you break trees into groups there really aren't an overwhelming number of choices in each group. For example, if you have opposite, compound leaves it has to be an Ash or one of just a couple other trees.

Once you get to know the trees you'll identify them by the pattern on the bark, the general shape of the tree, where they are growing, etc., but to start you have to use the tricks that botanists use to organize things in field guides

I like the Peterson's Guides as well. In addition, take the camera with you, take some decent shots, and post the pics here for those with the trained eye to give their opinion.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.