Tricks for getting a Husky saw started

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
I have heard others complain about some e tech saws being difficult to start. Last two times out, had the same issue, Today I gave up and pulled out the old Wild Thing. First pull on the 359 and it fired a bit, but never ran. That was it. Left the choke out and pulled 10 times. Tried half choke, no choke, throttle. Nothing. Ran starter fluid into the carb, nothing. Thinking I may have a fouled plug, but the saw may only have 6 hours cutting time. I have ethanol treatment in the fuel mix. What say you?

hey mywaynow, my usual routine for my husky is...
set the comp release. (otherwise you rip your arm out of your socket)
then about 2-3 pulls on full choke.
then release the choke by pulling the trigger.
(on my saw this sets the throttle to max)
then she usually fires right up.
If not started at this point I spray a dash of starting fluid and it usually starts.

If its warmed up 1 pull, not touching the throttle.

Was this a new saw? Why do I think I remember you picking up a used saw?

Didn't fire with the starting fluid and you can see anything coming out of the exhaust it is electrical. Pull the plug and ground it and see if there is a spark.

But away from any starting fluid. ;-)

mywaynow said:
I have heard others complain about some e tech saws being difficult to start. Last two times out, had the same issue, Today I gave up and pulled out the old Wild Thing. First pull on the 359 and it fired a bit, but never ran. That was it. Left the choke out and pulled 10 times. Tried half choke, no choke, throttle. Nothing. Ran starter fluid into the carb, nothing. Thinking I may have a fouled plug, but the saw may only have 6 hours cutting time. I have ethanol treatment in the fuel mix. What say you?

2-3 pulls MAX in these temps(full choke).....Half choke 1-2 and get out of it quick. Do what you done to my big saw in this heat you would need to take a very long lunch! ;-)

If I've been cutting in the last hour...
Push in decompression lever. Pull starter a few times.

If it hasn't been run recently...
Pull out the choke lever. Push in decompression lever. Pull it over till it "burps" once or maximum of 8 pulls. (You should have pushed in the choke immediately after it burped (semi-fired).)

Push in the choke to give you the fast idle position. Check decompression lever is still in. Give it a pull. Let it fast idle for ~20 seconds. Cut.

If it doesn't start on 1-2 pulls, you probably flooded it. (I'm sure you did based on 10 more pulls after it burped!) Pull up the trigger and wedge it up with your toe. Pull it till it starts - probably a 10-20 times.

Catching that first little burble is the key, and don't forget to turn the ignition switch to "ON". Mine is activated by the choke, but if you're doing a hot start, you might not need the choke.

Usually, I kick on the choke, (and/or switch ON) hold the throttle open with my right hand and give her some pulls with the left. Hear the burble, knock the choke off and give another pull or two till it fires up. Never really bothered with the compression release.... big guy vs small saw = no contest.

I check the plug ever couple of years, but it's been firing fine on the original plug for the past 8/9 years. We have E10 ethanol fuel here, so I try to run that when I can. Cleaner burning and no varnish/gunk build-up in the fuel system.

maxed_out said:
hey mywaynow, my usual routine for my husky is...
set the comp release. (otherwise you rip your arm out of your socket)
then about 2-3 pulls on full choke.
then release the choke by pulling the trigger.
(on my saw this sets the throttle to max)
then she usually fires right up.
If not started at this point I spray a dash of starting fluid and it usually starts.

If its warmed up 1 pull, not touching the throttle.

Was this a new saw? Why do I think I remember you picking up a used saw?

Your right about me buying a used 359. It never turned into a transaction though, ebay seller backed out. I ended up with a new saw around March. Once the saw is warm, she fires no problem. But I have had trouble starting her cold. I need to get a routine down and remember it. Gonna give it a whirl again this morning. Will update.

Pulled the trigger on my very good 288XP on Ebay last month.Within 30 minutes of opening that big cardboard box its arrival by UPS it was running good.Had set for a yr or more the Seller told me.Fresh gas in the tank,shot of starting fluid in the carb,push in that blue decomp button (you'll definitely need it lol) 7-8 pulls & it was a screamin' mofo. :coolgrin:

Havent used it in almost 2 weeks now (been hauling,splitting & stacking deadfall lately),but now its decomp button,2-3 pulls cold or 1 pull hot & its ready to do its thang.Did level off a 30" diameter dead Red Oak stump last time,like buttah with razor honed Full Chisel chain.

If it is just the cold start, all four of mine start exactly the same way. Full choke, two pulls and they pop. Half choke and away they go on the next pull. Leave the choke full longer than that and ya got a wait on your hands.

BrotherBart said:
If it is just the cold start, all four of mine start exactly the same way. Full choke, two pulls and they pop. Half choke and away they go on the next pull. Leave the choke full longer than that and ya got a wait on your hands.

Holds ture with a my saws aswell!

Could not get fire at all. Gonna replace the spark plug and see what happens.

Full choke, decomp on, 2-3 pulls to pop, choke off decomp on, 1 pull and its running.

Had some old gas in it this past week, added a pull per step, but thats it. Ran it dry from there to clear it out.

mywaynow said:
Could not get fire at all. Gonna replace the spark plug and see what happens.

Take the plug out turn it over and see if your getting any spark. Normally bad plug it will still run. Sounds like a coil.

New plug, no difference. Seeing no spark on the electrode of the plug. Any way to check the coil? Is that located forward of the pull start?

mywaynow said:
New plug, no difference. Seeing no spark on the electrode of the plug. Any way to check the coil? Is that located forward of the pull start?

Should be, not sure on the huskys. Just fallow the plug wire. You can take it out and let the dear check it. More than likely it is the coil.

Thanks Gordon. That was a pretty precise version of what I did today. Found a loose wire that was a part of the on/off switch. The way it was failing would have disabled the kill function though, not the fire/run mode. I picked this up over the net, so I am without a dealer relaationship to fall on. I am going to contact the seller and see what my options are.

mywaynow said:
Thanks Gordon. That was a pretty precise version of what I did today. Found a loose wire that was a part of the on/off switch. The way it was failing would have disabled the kill function though, not the fire/run mode. I picked this up over the net, so I am without a dealer relaationship to fall on. I am going to contact the seller and see what my options are.

Actually, were that wire termination flopping about, touching metal, it would have shorted out the ignition "primary"- no spark. Ignition switches also go bad, shorting.
Tape wire end test for spark again, then connect wire to switch and try again.

Any good local 2-stroke mechanic should be able to handle the fix; dealer advantage would be his inventory of swap-test parts. Costs nothing to ask.

Add to the list of WTF is happening; today the unit fires. Started hard, but most likely my sequence of steps. Did get her running, idling etc. Very happy because I spent 2 hours clearing trails through multifloral rose yestereday to get out a bunch of Ash, Walnut and some Osage this weekend. Was afraid my newly spoiled attitude (via the 359) was going to be disheartened by having to pull out the Wild Thing. Not the case.......

mywaynow said:
Add to the list of WTF is happening; today the unit fires. Started hard, but most likely my sequence of steps. Did get her running, idling etc. Very happy because I spent 2 hours clearing trails through multifloral rose yestereday to get out a bunch of Ash, Walnut and some Osage this weekend. Was afraid my newly spoiled attitude (via the 359) was going to be disheartened by having to pull out the Wild Thing. Not the case.......

Just for your safety, I hope you didn't hack your way through a rose-tangle with a chainsaw! Brush-cutter or flame-thrower I hope.

About the saw, is there anyone knowledgeable nearby you could ask for a second opinion? 2-strokes can be fussy and finicky, and someone who can sort out their signals can be priceless.

Some saws are just hard starting. I don't know what causes it but nothing is "broken".

My 031 is kinda like that, but doesn't get much use any more. Full choke 5 or 6 pulls till it pops. Then half choke and 3-4 more. Always been like that. Has good strong spark and plenty of fuel....just doesn't like to start. Once its warm it is about 1/4 pull...just have to nudge it started.

The 361 is 4 pulls when cold and 2 pulls when hot.

My dad's 30 year old Homelite is WAY too many cold...too many hot...and its like wrestling a grizzly bear on every pull...still has that much compression. Always been that way for whatever reason.

CTYank said:
mywaynow said:

Just for your safety, I hope you didn't hack your way through a rose-tangle with a chainsaw! Brush-cutter or flame-thrower I hope.

About the saw, is there anyone knowledgeable nearby you could ask for a second opinion? 2-strokes can be fussy and finicky, and someone who can sort out their signals can be priceless.

Used my shaft drive Echo trimmer with metal blade attachments to carve the lanes. Needed to fit a quad through the lanes to drag out the lumber. I hope to get some good bow hunting off those lanes later this year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.