1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Tricks for sealing used caulking tubes

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by precaud, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    OK, here is one I've never found a satisfactory solution for - how to seal partially used standard 9" caulking tubes, so the material doesn't cure and clog up the tip in the process.

The two best I've tried are
    : slip-on plastic caps, and
    : cover the end with a piece of plastic baggie and wrapping a rubber band around it.

Both have worked sometimes (50/50).

What have you found that works for you?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I squirt a good bit out of the tip and let it cover the hole. When it comes time to reuse the tube I pull the caulk tip off and push the wire cleaner down into the tube. It has always worked for me.

Matt
  3. ericjeeper

ericjeeper New Member

Loc:
    central Indiana
    Good caulking comes with screw on nozzles. I buy my caulking by the 4 case lots. They come with a sealed thread that you simply cut off just above the threads and screw on a nozzle.. On a partial tube just unscrew the used nozzle, screw on a new one and you are good to go.
    On a regular cheap type caulk tube you can screw a wirenut onto the end.. That will last for up to a few days/weeks.
  4. temporary

temporary New Member

Loc:
    buckley, wa
    A properly sized nail has worked for me for decades.
  5. wenger7446

wenger7446 Member

Loc:
    Pottstown, PA
    A properly sized electrical wire nut or any of the other options mentioned above.
  6. Nic36

Nic36 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Decatur, Alabama
    I've used nails and even old screwdrivers. I like the screwdrivers because they are long and extend into the tube.
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Good sized nail, spike or standard drywall screw has worked pretty well for me.
  8. BillT

BillT Member

Loc:
    Moneta, VA
    It's nice when the tube comes with screw on nozzles or "Dap Caps", but if I understand the industry right, they don't want us to preserve it. I have tried all of the tricks listed above (the wire cap is also good, but it doesn't seem to seal it completely), but what I have found to work the best is "Replacemnt Tops". My hardware store sells the top part of the tube and it has an extra large nozzle on it. I cut the nozzle off, then slip it over the nozzle on the tube, then seal it with tape. The Replacement tops come in a package of 5 or 6 and ain't real cheap, but still cheaper and more convenient in the long run.

There is a business oportunity out there for y'all. Make some low cost slip on nozzles. Only I bet the caulking industry will be knocking on your door to buy out your business.

Bill
  9. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester, Mass
    old spark plug boots ftw
  10. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I put about a three inch long screw in the nozzle. That way if the stuff is really tough, you can unsrew it. Usualy works.
  11. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    put a plastic sandwich baggie over the nozzle, and then use the largest size red wire nut to turn that onto the tip. learned it from a local builder not perfect, but works as well as anything I've tried
  12. sleepie

sleepie New Member

Loc:
    elmira, new york
    vacuum block offs,,,they slip right over the tube end,,,autozone has them---cheap!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.