Tried a Husky 372XP for first time today... Wow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenLockett

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2011
Eastern Upstate NY
Helped my neighbor cut a nice cherry today and he let me use his 372XP. all I can say is that now I gotta have one (at some point)! Used my 450 X-Torq interchangeably and it was like a toy compared to the XP. He offered to let me use it anytime I like.

Reactions: D9H
I had the same reaction going from the 455 to the 372xp. The difference was a bit scary.

Reactions: D9H
I'm a proud member of the 372XP fan club too.

Just going by specs, I think of the 372 as being the Husky equivalent of Stihl's 044 / MS440, but with better AV. I haven't gotten the chance to try a 372, but the 044 definitely hits a sweet spot for being highly capable without being too heavy. Over the last few years I've had a couple of 046/460's and an 064, both of which are stronger but also heavier. I sold them, and kept my 044.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I've never used a 372 :( I had a stihl farm boss, just like the 455 rancher I believe, and upgraded to a 362xp. Holy crap, I never imagined that a "pro" saw would be that big of a difference. It was incredible.

I've never used a 372 :( I had a stihl farm boss, just like the 455 rancher I believe, and upgraded to a 362xp. Holy crap, I never imagined that a "pro" saw would be that big of a difference. It was incredible.
Thought the exact same thing. Yesterday I had a Husky 450, Rancher 455, Echo 300 Arborist, and the 372 XP. Having them all right there to use interchangeably for comparison cemented my understanding of the differences between a pro and non-pro saw. Only thing I wonder now is it better to go 362xp, 372xp, 562xp auto-tune, etc.

I'm not a pro, by any means. I can't imagine needing a 372xp. I cut 5-7 cord a year. I wanted something still somewhat light weight. I was afraid the 372 would have been too heavy to cut all day long with. I could be 100% wrong!

I'm not a pro, by any means. I can't imagine needing a 372xp. I cut 5-7 cord a year. I wanted something still somewhat light weight. I was afraid the 372 would have been too heavy to cut all day long with. I could be 100% wrong!
I'm not a pro either but I love chainsaws and processing firewood in general and when you have the bug you want the best or at least I do.

Thought the exact same thing. Yesterday I had a Husky 450, Rancher 455, Echo 300 Arborist, and the 372 XP. Having them all right there to use interchangeably for comparison cemented my understanding of the differences between a pro and non-pro saw. Only thing I wonder now is it better to go 362xp, 372xp, 562xp auto-tune, etc.
I have a 450 rancher with 20" b & c and cut about 15 cords with it the last 2 years. I was strugling with it in bar length red oak (90% of what I cut) Upgraded to a 562xpg w/20" b & c, cause I found a sweet deal and wanted heated handles for winter cutting. They are SWEET saws! Perfect for firewood cutting! Big enough for the big wood, yet nimble and light enough for limbing! Great all around 1 saw plan!

Reactions: KenLockett
yep, I sure like my ported 390XP.... :)

Reactions: Dairyman
A saw with decent power is nice to use. My 562XP, although decent, still bogs down (chain stops) when I'm noodling 16" thick ash rounds into manageable chunks to split. This happens when I apply much leverage to the dogs at all. This doesn't happen with my 395XP & 32" bar, but there's a few more CCs of engine displacement involved.

Its one of the few Husqvarna products that don't make me want to stick a fork in my eye.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
Just going by specs, I think of the 372 as being the Husky equivalent of Stihl's 044 / MS440, but with better AV. I haven't gotten the chance to try a 372, but the 044 definitely hits a sweet spot for being highly capable without being too heavy. Over the last few years I've had a couple of 046/460's and an 064, both of which are stronger but also heavier. I sold them, and kept my 044.

Jon have you tried the early version of the 064? Same as 046 in weight with close to 066 power. I put a dual port muff on mine and it sounds so sweet I go fire it up just to hear it lol. 066 jug is interchangeable also but with just the muff on it it cuts like a hotsaw without the 066 mod.

Yeah, I had an early 064. Heck of a saw, but to say it was the same weight as an 046 would suggest a big rounding error. It was fun to mess with, but I don't care to process the rounds from trees big enough to require that much saw, which was why I decided to sell it. Now that I've done a bit of milling I kinda wish I still had it.

Metal badge version (84-85 I think) is supposed to be within 2 ounces of the 046. Supposedly best weight to hp of all less one Dolmar according to the big saw site.

Metal badge version (84-85 I think) is supposed to be within 2 ounces of the 046. Supposedly best weight to hp of all less one Dolmar according to the big saw site.

Going by the manuals, the 046 is 14.3 pounds and the 064 is 15.7 pounds, or more than 22 oz. difference. We could hypothesize that the manual refers to later versions of the 064, but I don't think it's plausible for there to be more than a pound's difference between versions of the same model. That's not to say that the power:weight isn't exceptional.

The manual shows the later version which was a quite a bit heavier than the first couple years. I forget the details but I will try to find it again.

Found an old AS thread on the topic, with people saying that different versions of the manual claimed 14.8 and 15 pounds. Sounds like we need someone with a few 064's of varying vintage, and a good digital scale.

I remember now it wasn't 2 ounces it was 5 ounces and I think it was .8 more horsepower. Someone did weigh them side by side because there were no stats for the early version. They only made them for 2 years I think. The ones with the metal badge riveted on the starter cover. The info is out there somewhere.

Cut all day? With a 372xp you'd only be at it all day if you took a mind to buck that 5-7 cords in one go...even then, if you show some vigor you'll be on the couch way before dinner.

The 372xp is a joy to run. Love that ping-ping-ping.

Reactions: KenLockett
Used the 372XP for 10 years. My favorite saw.

Jim

What do you think of the new ones with EPA compliant tuning? I have a dealer telling me that it is best to buy a used older one as I will have trouble with the newer ones mentioned above. Your thoughts?

Thanks
Ken

No experience with EPA tuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.