Trim Collar, Flue Collar, Chimney Liner, Curing, ect...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy13

Sep 15, 2011
NC
First time wood stove installer here, this website has been a great resource. Quick questions.

1. From my flue collar, should the first section of stove pipe just rest inside of the flue collar? Should it be attached or sealed in anyway? I'm using Snap-lock, which doesn't seem to make a perfect circle fit. Should I be concerned if it is not air-tight?

2. From my masonry chimney hole, how do I attach my last section of stove pipe? My last section is a 6" to 8" increaser with a trim collar. The increaser does not fit firmly into the chimney hole, with about 1/4" of wiggle room. How would you suggest attaching the increaser to the masonry? I have Rutlands furnace cement, but really no clue on the curing process. To cure to 500 degrees, can I just burn a fire?

3. My chimney is all masonry/bricks. Do I need chimney pipe inserted into the masonry?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome cowboy13. The guiding rule here is safety. When you say snaplock pipe, is this heavy gauge, black pipe or lightweight galvanized pipe? It should be the former, not the latter. The crimped end fitting inside the flue collar on the stove may be a little sloppy. Use Rutland furnace cement to seal the gap, following the directions for curing. I like to let it dry overnight. Then do a small fire and let it die out, then a bigger one.

Can you post a picture of your setup? I'm not sure I understand your 3d question. It would help to see what you are seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.