1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Trivia question

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by ScotL, Mar 18, 2013.

?

How thick does the layer of ash on your stove/furnace/boiler's heat exchanger need to be to reduce i

1. 1/16"

31.0%
  2. 1/8"

37.9%
  3. 3/16"

3.4%
  4. 1/4"

20.7%
  5. 5/16"

3.4%
  6. 3/8"

3.4%
  1. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I heard a statistic a little while ago but I don't know how accurate it is. If it is correct, it's something everyone would want to know. So I'll ask a trivia question and maybe those well versed in this kind of thing can enlighten us.

"How thick does the layer of ash on your stove/furnace/boiler's heat exchanger need to be to reduce it's efficiency by 50%?"

(Guess the poll question is too big to fit above, but this is the full question.)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma
    gonna guess 1/8"
    Seems about right.
    Any amount of ash has to block thermal transfer.

Just my SWAG.
    ---Nailer---
  3. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    I'll go with 1/4"
  4. DneprDave

DneprDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western WA
    I don't know, I can't see my stove's heat exchanger. There's a built in scraper that I pull in and out every couple of days.

Dave
  5. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I notice a difference after a week of burning, although I don't believe it's 50%.
  6. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I guessed 1/4" cause after 40 plus bags through mine and about 1/8" build up. Mine only dropped about 20ish %.
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I'm guessing 1/4" also. I don't measure in weeks for cleaning anymore. I go in "months". Just did the Quad today. Not bad after almost 2 months. Still using Low, and still getting good temps..
  8. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    1/8 inch. Sure screws up the ESP
  9. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    The answer is: 1/8"
    That's the number that I was told by 2 different people and both of them should know.
    I've always heard that ash is an excellent insulator. Just goes to show how important it is to keep a stove clean.
  10. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Thanks for the info Scot, does not surprise me at all :cool:
  11. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I won't claim to be that smart as I had just gotten off the Goverments web site trying to check out how good aspen pellets were. Might try them as they are available for $200 a ton.
  12. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    He says in a thread started by scotl......

Luckily you are not from the northeast. :)
  13. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I try to keep my interest in this forum on a personal level. I have a PB105 at home and a Kedel at work and enjoy talking about all things pellet - no matter what brand. This is a great forum to both learn new information and to share what information you have (like the 1/8" thing in this thread). Don't worry about offending me in any way.
  14. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    I knew you wouldn't take offense. I just had a chuckle in my head when I read his post. How do you like that kedel? They look pretty nice.

I didn't know that only 1/8" of ash caused that much efficiency loss.
  15. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    It's a smaller capacity than my Harman but has a lot of features. But, that also means it takes more to get it setup correctly which it still isn't. It's supposed to have a compressed air pump, that didn't ship with it, which cleans out the burnpot. The fuel/oxygen ratio isn't adjusted correctly yet either. And I don't think they installed the correct exhaust ductwork on it. They put on something you'd see on an oil furnace - with a draft damper.
    Eventually I think it will be a really nice unit.