trouble with a np140

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beau5278

Dec 8, 2008
western NY/northeast PA
I've burnt wood for most of my adult live but never had any experience with pellets.A couple of weeks ago,Mom had a Napolean NP-140 insert installed in a living room fireplace.I picked up a ton of pellets that are made by a company Instaheat in Addison,Ny.She's been saying from the first time that she fired it up that it'll only burn about 10 or 12 hours then the burnpot is full and needs to be emptied a couple of times it has run over,just overnight.I looked at the stove a week or so after it was installed and the door seal didn't look like it would have been sealing good at one corner.She called the dealer that installed it,he called the company and they say that she wasn't burning it hard enough but he did bring her a new door last week.It's been warm since I've been here Christmas day so she hasn't been burning it,yesterday,it got cold enough again to light it but by 7:00 last night it was clear that it wouldn't make it overnight.So I pulled the stove out t see how he installed it and it looked like the T connection at the rear of the stove had come unhooked so I made an adjustment on one of the connections to get it more square to the stove and got it back in ok.We cleaned the stove and burnpot and relit it,it burnt overnight and might make it until noon but it's going to be full again and need cleaning.The dealer claims that the burn pot should only need cleaning about once a week.The stove seems to put out decent heat,not on a level of a woodburner when it's burning right but the heat should be more consistent.The other thing that I'm seeing with the stove is that the air intake doesn't seem to affect the fire much,she's burning it wide open with the pellets coming in at about 2-3,if I turn the pellets up more,it seems like there are too any unburnt pellets in the pot.If I shut the air down to 3,the fire will die down a little but it just doesn't seem like it gets enough air when it's wide open.He did install an OAK,he ran it down out of the rear of the fireplace through the old cleanout into the basement.He also installed a liner that looks to be 4in and goes about 6in out of the top of the chimney with a cap.We've thought about trying a bag or 2 of different pellets but haven't picked them up yet.The biggest issue,I guess,at this point is how often the burn pot needs cleaning,does twice a day seem normal?If not what would be causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.