Trouble with homeowners insurace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yahoos snake

May 18, 2014
Mn
Hello I just recently change home owners insurance to the west bend. I got a letter last week they saying that I am being dropped from them cause my stove is no inspected and not ul listed. The stove was in the house when I bought it. It's a blaze king kith 302. Who do I get it inspected by and how do I find the ul listings. Thanks

Could that be a KTJ-302? If so, it is pretty old. You can find the manual here but I see no mention of UL testing in it.
http://www.blazeking.com/EN/old-manual.html Is there a UL tag on the back of the stove?

Inspection is usually done by the local building dept. or sometimes the fire dept.. Check to see which is the authority in your area. If you intend to heat with wood 24/7 it may be a good time to update the stove and chimney system if necessary.

The stove was tested and listed by the I.C.B.O. which is now the International Code Council. The insurance company should accept the listing "ICBO Report #3534" listed on page 2 of the manual that begreen linked to. At one time UL and I.C.B.O. were doing safety clearance testing standards.

My stove wasn't inspected by the town or insurance company. I asked because a wood stove can be an issue with both. Neither responded, it seamed like they didn't have anyone to do it.

Good luck with this. These company's want to minimize there risk. I have State Farm. and as I said, 13 years ago in PA they didn't seam to care what I was doing.

thanks everyone i did see that it was icbo inspected by the back of the stove it self the wood stove looks like its brand new when i moved in 3 years ago besides a few of the cermics have broke. Last fall we tore down and rebuilt the masonry chimney cause the old one was falling apart. my furnace went out last fall dont have the money to replace it and now if im not going to be able to burn wood it will really suck

We have our home owners insurance from encompass and pay $75 extra for wood stove. they never asked what kind or how I burn. I am not profiting from this just like the company, and would like to share

FWIW my insurance company rep says that if you install an insert in a fireplace that was built during the construction of the house, in my case 90 years, they have no requirements. If you install a stove its a whole different deal. Inspections, distance from a fire hydrant, distance from the Fire Dept. you get the idea. I find this odd as basically there is not much difference between a stove and a insert.

We have liberty Mutual and they said as long as it is installed by a pro. and we have another heat source to back it up they don't care what it is and don't charge extra.

My Insurance company said "If you have a Fireplace, it doesn't matter if you put in a stove, and no Inspection needed", but I had the Building Inspector check it and give his blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.