Troy Bilt 27 Ton - or - any gas powered log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently purchased the Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter.

It says the beam needs lubricated every use.

What do you use to lubricate it?

Do you know of any links on the web that describe this.

Thanks in advance

derbygreg said:
I just recently purchased the Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter.

It says the beam needs lubricated every use.

What do you use to lubricate it?

Do you know of any links on the web that describe this.

Thanks in advance
I have never lube mine I would think its so it dont rust. wd-40 maybe? but i here if you lube it now you have stuff sticking to it

I squeeze out a little from my grease gun and smear it with a rag.

Seems not real critical, with arguements pro and con - I've seen everything suggested from spray lubes, to engine oils, to grease, to nothing... Haven't heard of any indications that it makes a lot of difference -

Greases tend to attract debris, and make the machine really messy - not to mention that grease + dirt = abrasive paste...

Oils probably have less of a problem this way, but I'd suspect don't do as good of a job in lubricating.

Spray lubes, especially the "dry" lubes that claim to not attract dirt are probably less messy, but again how good are they as lubricants?

The surfaces involved aren't seeing all that much movement compared to most things mechanical, and are relatively low friction, so I'm not all that sure a lubricant is needed at all.

Personally, I run my splitter with no lube on the beam, but if I were to use something I'd consider going for one of the dry spray lubes - the other options seem to me like a lot of mess for not much benefit. I figure if it wears that much, in 20 years I'll just weld a strip of 1/8" stock to the worn beam face and keep on going....

Gooserider

I have a little antique oil can I keep filled with 30-wt oil (seems to me that this was what my MTD 27-ton owner's manual recommended), and I just squirt some of that along the beam, under the wedge, & whatnot from time to time. Lubricates, discourages corrosion, maybe even quiets it down. I don't really cotton to direct metal to metal movement without some lubrication. The 30-wt oil just sort of mixes with the wood fragments & dirt and forms a nice adherent layer of oily lubricant gunk. I think WD-40 would be gone in short order. Rick

Attachments

• oilcan.jpg
    oilcan.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 448
like fossil said any motor oil 10- 30 ect.

Most manufacturers will recommend oil and not grease. Usually 30 wt is recommended. I make sure there is plenty of oil on the beam for sure when it is put up for the year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Most manufacturers will recommend oil and not grease...
You guys must think I lather it on thick. A little dab off the end of the grease gun rubbed in with a rag won't leave any more of a film than any of you guys with your oil cans, probably less.

Iam voting no oil or grease on mine, Wow did i say that out loud

Whenever I've run those beam type splitters I've poured engine oil on the beam to coat any area that has the paint worn off. Those are the places where things make contact.

If there ever was a use for used engine oil, well besides painting fences, then this is it.

I save the oil from the motor after an oil change and use that.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.