Troy-Bilt 27 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomc585

Jul 3, 2012
Long Island, New York
Bought a beat up splitter from a wood processor a few years ago. Never had much need for a splitter since I do it (90%) by hand but It was only $400 and it was working.

I had to weld up the ibeam because it was worn like an hour glass from lack of lubrication and not adjusting the gibs. Fabricated new guide plates and gibs, replaced all the hardware that was incorrect, worn, bent or sloppy. Replaced the 2"x2" center beam (it was bent,welded,broken, just a plain mess) with thick walled 2x2 tubing and made it longer (easier to see when towing).

I was only getting about 400psi when splitting but it would hit 3200psi on a dead head (full extension). So I opened up the hydraulic cylinder to find the internal seals were shot and when I took it apart the set screw for the piston head was out and I was loosing pressure their too. Trunion welds look good so I rebuilt it with a seal kit and replaced the set screw/bolt.

All is well so far, pump is pushing 3200psi (25 tons) on a dead head and never saw it go past 2200psi (16 tons) on some crotch wood I had around and it blasted right through it. I doubt these ever saw 27 tons even new, the pump would need to hit 3400psi for that. I added a tee to install the gauge for testing and will replace it with a plug, just to easy of a target for flying wood.

So I'm into it for $400 plus $50 for the seal kit and $50 for 5 gal of hydraulic fluid. About 8hrs and some material I had around. I also bolted on a small toolbox to hold oil, hardware and safety glasses.
IMAGE_106-1.jpg

Bought a beat up splitter from a wood processor a few years ago. Never had much need for a splitter since I do it (90%) by hand but It was only $400 and it was working.

I had to weld up the ibeam because it was worn like an hour glass from lack of lubrication and not adjusting the gibs. Fabricated new guide plates and gibs, replaced all the hardware that was incorrect, worn, bent or sloppy. Replaced the 2"x2" center beam (it was bent,welded,broken, just a plain mess) with thick walled 2x2 tubing and made it longer (easier to see when towing).

I was only getting about 400psi when splitting but it would hit 3200psi on a dead head (full extension). So I opened up the hydraulic cylinder to find the internal seals were shot and when I took it apart the set screw for the piston head was out and I was loosing pressure their too. Trunion welds look good so I rebuilt it with a seal kit and replaced the set screw/bolt.

All is well so far, pump is pushing 3200psi (25 tons) on a dead head and never saw it go past 2200psi (16 tons) on some crotch wood I had around and it blasted right through it. I doubt these ever saw 27 tons even new, the pump would need to hit 3400psi for that. I added a tee to install the gauge for testing and will replace it with a plug, just to easy of a target for flying wood.

So I'm into it for $400 plus $50 for the seal kit and $50 for 5 gal of hydraulic fluid. About 8hrs and some material I had around. I also bolted on a small toolbox to hold oil, hardware and safety glasses.
IMAGE_106-1.jpg

good find and nice work!

nice VW BTW....JSW?

Good to know the trunion welds were holding up - especially since that splitter sounds like it was worked hard.
That's the one thing about this splitter that bugs me.

It's always good to see something like that get restored instead of junked, and you did it for very little $$$.

thanks guys and yes the tow vehicle is a JSW TDI
When towing I use a strap to hold the cylinder from bouncing around (such a racket)
forgot to mention that the cylinder was the Xinghui brand. From what I've learned they used 2 different ones, Xinghui & Energy, identified by the "clock position" of the rod guide retaining bolts in relation to the trunion mounts. Mine was 9 & 3. The seal kit for the Energy brand was more than double the price.
(where'd my picture go?)

I never have converted psi to tons on a cylinder

I never have converted psi to tons on a cylinder

you need more that just the psi, you need to know the area of the piston inside the cylinder, mine is 4.5"

Force=Area*PSI
Area=Pi*R^2
or use http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/cyl_calc.htm

My tonages are estimated on the conservated side since the gauges calibration certification has expired. So its just a reference to use as a baseline for future trouble shooting....if need be.

Area of the piston = (3.14 x radius sq)

So for a 4 inch cylinder running at 3000 psi

Piston Area = 3.14 x (2x2)
= 3.14 x 4
= 12.56 square inches

Tonnage = ((Piston area in sq in) x operating pressure) / 2000
= (12.56 * 3000) / 2000
= 37680 / 2000
= 18.84 tons of force

Adjust the numbers to suit your particular machine. :cool:

A good $500 splitter.
You'll get your money's worth.
Good buy!
I might put a 2X4 or 2X2 (the right length) between the cylinder & tongue bar, then tighten the strap for towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.