1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Troy Built Log Splitter Hydraulic Leak

Post in 'The Gear' started by glassmanjpf, Sep 9, 2010.

1. glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I have had a problem with my spltter leaking fluid through the upper cap on the valve. I've read through the forums and it seemed the problem was the o-rings. I have replaced the two O-rings twice with the type mentioned on some of the other treads and it continues to leak after 1-3 hours of splitting. I'm thinking now its more than just the O ring. after a few hours when its leaking the ram comes down very slowly even stops. It retracts fine. I am now looking to just buy the complete assembly. Troy built OEM parts number for the valve is 718-0481 which is now replaced by part number 918-0481A, I have found this valve for $178.86 which I thought was a little pricey. The cap on the valve says "Energy" so I went to their website and saw valve Model C-908 DSKCVA 200 which is a 4 way valve for $85.

I'm not sure if this valve will work on my splitter. Does anyone have any info on which valve to get?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ANeat

ANeat New Member

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    Im not sure how the Energy valve is made but in my experience with hydraulics there should be something more like a quad ring. If the Rod the o-rings seal against is worn or scored that can accelerate the wear on the new o-rings. Dirt and stuff gets on the rod and gets dragged into the valve. Just normal wear in the life of a splitter I guess....

Here is another place that may have what you need if a new valve is the solution.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=&byKeyword=yes&search=splitter valve
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yep, check the rod for any kind of abrasions or burrs. A very minute burr will wipe out a seal in short order. They can often be polished off with emery cloth.
  4. triptester

triptester Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S.E.Wisconsin
    Log splitter valves are usually interchangeable. Little to no modifications needed. Average price $80.00 .

Your valve sounds like it might be scored internally.
  5. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    Agreed.
    Joe
  6. glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  7. glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    OK, so I removed the valve not to much trouble. However getting the old fittings off was a PITA. Only got one off the old unit and reused the other one looked like it was chewed off. Needed to use a pipe wrench. Anyway local auto parts store had the identical fittings I needed for 10 bucks. Splitter back up and running. Split for 2 hours today and worked great.
  8. louie_r2

louie_r2 New Member

Hey glassmanipf do you still have the old valve ?
    I could use a few parts off it. where on Long Island? I'm in Farmingdale if so email me louis_r2@yahoo.com

thanks louie
  9. glassmanjpf

glassmanjpf Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY