troy built log splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnerpgh

Hearth Supporter
Jul 2, 2008
pittsburgh, pa
Looking for a log splitter to replace a big one I built and sold 5 years ago. What is your opinion on the 27 ton from lowe's. Storage is a concern in the subs of PGH with a one car garage. Need to spllit approximately 4 full cords a year. I have looked at the TSC splitters also. Would like a timberwolf, but hard to justify the cost for my use now for the insert which heats the entire 2 bedroom ranch I live in. What are your thoughts?? Will I be happy?

No personal experience with the Lowes unit, though some of the specs I've seen on it make me think it may be on the slow side. (seems the engine / pump is a bit small for the cylinder size needed to make 27Ton, so something is a bit off...)

If storage space is a major concern, you could look at the Harbor Freight H/V units - I have the 30 ton, evaluated extensively elsewhere (use the search) which has been discontinued and replaced with a unit that uses a china clone motor instead of the Subaru-Robin that mine has, but is otherwise identical looking from the manuals. I believe they still make the 20 ton unit w/ the S/R engine that uses the same chassis. The big advantage the HF units have is that because they use the beam for the trailer tongue, you can store them with the beam upright (and prop leg removed) in a space not much larger than the size of the wheel base...

There are other possible issues, which I discuss, and I've done some mods on mine to fix most of them, but I think they are a good fit for folks w/ limited storage space.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.