Truck Load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

What are you guys paying for a truck load of firewood?

Called around, haven't heard back yet from a couple places, but so far $1400-1600 a load. Works out to "usually" 10-12 cords.

Best price for cut/split/delivered is running right around $200-225 cord.

Worth all the work to save $650?

Hello Palmer! I spent 9 years in Anchorage. Loved the State Fair in Palmer! Miss the mountains.

My dad and I just finished cutting up a 12 cord load of yellow birch, maple and oak. $120/cord.
We have about 9 cord stacked already. We split what we had to by maul, but a friend is going to
loan us his hydraulic tractor pto splitter for the last 1.5 to 2 cord. Big gnarly birch pieces.

No question to me that it's worth the savings to process it myself.

(That's fairly common - to lose about 10% in cutting....)

Got to consider a few factors.
Do you have time to go get wood ?
Do you have all the equipment needed to cut it, haul it home at a reasonable expense?
How much does it cost to heat your house with NG?
Do you enjoy processing fire wood?

Log length delivered sure saves on driving & hauling costs. Saves lots of work too.
A 10 cord load usually nets about 9 cords for me when I did it a few times.

I don't really have time to go in the woods and cut (like on that state land we had talked about a while back), but with the truck load I would be able to more or less pick at it over the summer.

Have saw, 3/4 ton truck, 5 ton trailer, splitter, etc. Don't have a strong back, but provided I take it easy and rest or quit when I need to then I'll be fine.

When I did heat just with natural gas, it was about $1100 for the year. I kept the T Stats down too, 65-68*. The last 2 years I heated with wood and my gas ran about $350 for the year (kitchen stove, dryer, water heater and garage heat).

With heating with wood I burn around 3-3.5 cords and keep the house in the low 70s.. no one walking around in sweaters in my house ==c

I don't mind processing wood. It's good excersize and I like the feeling of knowing I have a source of heat "saved" if SHTF. I have enough wood for this coming winter and a portion of the next, so this would be for winter 2014 and beyond.

Got to consider a few factors.
Do you have time to go get wood ?
Do you have all the equipment needed to cut it, haul it home at a reasonable expense?
How much does it cost to heat your house with NG?
Do you enjoy processing fire wood?

Log length delivered sure saves on driving & hauling costs. Saves lots of work too.
A 10 cord load usually nets about 9 cords for me when I did it a few times.

I sell some to offset the cost of a truck load, and keep scrounging for my own wood. I paid $87 a cord , same as the mill, for 9 cords of beautiful hard maple delivered.

Right now where I am . . . it works out to be about $100 per cord. The guy I've talked to sells by the truckload ($1,000) and says most loads are between 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.