Truck or Trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this is great info! I need to get a trailer so I can get my snowmobile from the Ex, and actually use it too (which is why it is still at EX's house - can't use it even if I had it). Of course, with my little Patriot, I can't haul that much weight anyway (I think about 900#), but I could haul lumber and sheetrock too. couldn't get a ton of pellets, but at least could get more than 10-15 bags at a time. Naturally, I need to get a hitch first.

on other question:
i HAVE SEEN A FEW USED ONES ONLINE,similar to yours but realized if I go to check it out and buy, , I can't tow it home since I am not set up yet with lights/tow ball.
if I buy a tow kit 1st, how do I know which size ball to get while searching....I understand the're are few different diameter sizes..

All U need to tow an empty trailer is the light hookup and the proper sized ball. If you find a used trailer you can go to any local box store/auto supply etc and pick up the correct size ball. this info is stamped on the hitch of the trailer. You will need the ball when the heaver frame mounted hitch is put on.
Your rear bumper has a hole to put the ball in, I Wouldn't use a bumper to tow any weight but an empty trailer should not be an issue.
Any auto supply will have the wiring that u need, if you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself then an independent repair shop will certainly help you out. It really isn't difficult with the correct kit to hook the wiring up.

Check your bumper for the tow rating before you buy a hitch. I had a 93 Toy 4 banger that I towed with all the time and the stock factory bumper was rated at 3500#. Thankfully the most I ever needed to tow was about 3000# and never had a problem except for the people honking and giving me the bird for going so slow. I wouldn't sweat 2000# with your 92. I would also recommend a plug and play harness like the one in the link below so there is no cutting wires.

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-55379-CU...kup&keywords=toyota+pickup+93+trailer+harness

Just that truck alone sucks to park and find parking spots for. It's like driving a school bus and not the short one either.

BTW, parking a vehicle/trailer rig can be an adventure too. Saturday we were out (not for pellets) over 50 miles from home, and where we picked up our purchases I asked where in town would be a good place for lunch. Got a good recommendation and, because I asked, was told there was adequate parking. This was in a good-sized town, and when we got there, drove around for a bit looking for anyplace to park a car + trailer but eventually gave up. :(

The good news is that 90+% of the time, the trailer stays home.

Status
Not open for further replies.