Truck Tire Opinion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/pts/1166297492.html

Found these today, weny by and checked them out, they look good. Even wear, no bubbles, beads are all good. Oddball brand that I cannot find any info on. For $225 for a set of 4 tires I can probably get 2 years out of I'm inclined to roll the dice. New I'm staring $600+ in the face and it ain't pretty.

Thoughts? Current tires are below the inspectable limit so I need to do something, new isn't in the budget. This looks like a reasonable compromise for the time being.

Go for it, but they look like they are made more for off road, and may be softer rubber. Which means they might wear quick. I used to get beefy tread tires for an F250 I had, they lasted about 6 months a set.
Of course they only costed $60.00 a pc back then in the 90's. But they sure dug into the ground, mud, snow etc.

Look like they have pre-drilled holes for studs. Which means winter tires, usaully are a softer tread compound. You'll need to rotate more often as they will wear quicker than normal, but you will get good traction.

They are a great deal but rotate them every 4000 miles or else they will wear out quick. I have kumho MT's on my truck now and they have been on since march of 07 just keep them rotated....

Check out Sams club. I was able to put on 4 new LT tires (road type but fairly agressive for that) for $360.

Matt

I dunno know, mayhem. If a deal seems too good to be true, maybe it is. If these tires are almost new, why is the current owner selling them? Are they too noisy? Are they so unbalanced that they cannot be weighted into balance? Do they have a manufacturing defect? These are a load range "E" which is a very sturdy tire with a maximum inflation pressure of 80 psi. These would ride quite hard on a half ton pickup even at lower inflation pressures. Balance these questions with your need for a quick and inexpensive set of tires before the inspection.

You can see I am quite cautious about buying "used" when I do not know the seller and/or the item being sold.

Good luck,

John_M

I have a 3/4 ton truck so I need load rating E..I run 50psi most of the time anyways, so I'm not concerned about the ride.

Turns out its a small world, the guy is a cousin of an associate, so I know how to get ahold of him.

The story is he bought them for his Tundra, found out what Load raeting E menas the hard way and took them off pretty quickly.

Got him to commit to $180

Matt, there are no Sam's Club's or BJ's or Costco's (or other discount stores I may never have heard of) within a 1 hour drive of here. Their website lists the least expensive tire that would work for me as $120 apiece whihc is actually significantly more than the other major online retailers...its the load rating E thats getting me...they're just more expensive.

If I don't find something else soon I'll grab these and rotate often (never rotated a set of tires in my life...never found a reason to since every car or truck I've owned has worn evenly all the way around).

mayhem said:
<snip> If I don't find something else soon I'll grab these and rotate often (never rotated a set of tires in my life...never found a reason to since every car or truck I've owned has worn evenly all the way around).

Tire rotation is no big deal, just think of it as having to do a bunch of tire changes at the same time... There are rules about how you rotate the tires depending on if they are radials or not, but you can look them up, and they aren't all that complicated. If you are going to do it yourself, it is VERY helpful to have the ability to get at least two wheels off the ground at once. Also you will save much effort if you have either a "cross" type lug wrench or an impact wrench (preferably the latter) - OTOH most garages will do a tire rotation for a pretty reasonable cost - it's a fast job w/ a lift and an air ratchet, and it gives them a chance to hustle you for other "needed" repairs...

Gooserider

Grabbed them the other day, got them for $180 cash. Have to get them put on in the next day or so and that will be that.

Thanks one and all.

Sure wish I could find a deal like that. I need four of the same size for the 'Burb and am looking down the barrel of seven hundred bucks for'em.

Thats the exact situation that led me to these in the first place. Rears are down to the wear bars (actually almost slicks now) and the fronts are below the inspection limit. So long as its not near winter and you don't have leaks, heavy rain season or a state inspection looming I'd start searching craigslist. Don't be overly specific in your search though, just look for the cross section width and narrow your results visually from the hits you get.

mayhem said:
Thats the exact situation that led me to these in the first place. Rears are down to the wear bars (actually almost slicks now) and the fronts are below the inspection limit. So long as its not near winter and you don't have leaks, heavy rain season or a state inspection looming I'd start searching craigslist. Don't be overly specific in your search though, just look for the cross section width and narrow your results visually from the hits you get.

But keep looking...find a nice set of summer tires for about the same price, got 2 years of tires for a hell of a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.