Trying to chose a new stove for heating entire house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news. Thanks for the update Barb. Think how much wood you are going to save in the next 8 years.

Great to hear, and glad I could help. One thing you might notice with it turned off more is that it could gunk up a little more since the exhaust will be going a little slower. If you start to notice a decrease in draft check the cap for buildup. I have never worked personally with a customer who had a powered cap before so this is just a guess but it makes sense to me.

Maybe you should consider a hot air or hot water central heating unit? This is likely to produce less problems of sensitivity. It should be noted that Pellet stoves can produce odors in a number of ways, including the dust from the unburned pellets and the regular scraping of the pot, etc.

Yeah, that Exhausto should pull anything up there - but at the same time it is possible that a stove like your needs resealed after that much time- the baffle and air tubes should also be checked.

Then you have to consider the various costs - of fuel and of the stoves (wood or pellets). Wood is usually going to be cheaper, especially if you can scrounge. Another factor with pellets is the fan and blower noise - something to think about if you like a really quiet house.

If you do decide on a new wood stove, consider a model which leans toward convection - might spread the heat well in a ranch house.

Status
Not open for further replies.