1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Trying to find a blower for old Regency R1 Insert

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by OtherDave, Jan 8, 2013.

1. OtherDave

OtherDave New Member

Hi Everybody... brand new here! Hoping maybe somebody can help me. I'm trying to find a blower that will attach to my old Regency R1 stove.

I contacted Regency a couple of years ago and they were able to tell me:

"Bad news, production of the R1 stopped in 1986, that fan assembly is no longer available. The fan was a specialized one from Germany at that time and the location of the fan mounting clips you showed under the ash lip, no fan FPI has now would attach."

So, I was bummed. I tried to find something that would fit, but never found anything that looked promising. I found a few blower fans that looked like they might fit the spacing, but I don't think any of them came with the shroud/housing and I wasn't sure how/where to attach the thermostat and/or switch. Basically, I was totally lost.

I've got some friends who can do metal work, so I'm willing to look at a solution that requires some custom fabrication. But... I'm still nervous.

Here's a photo gallery of the Regency R1, spacing, and the clips (sorry for the poor quality on the clip photos).

http://imgur.com/a/Cx6PO#0

The clips are on the under side of the ash lip. The blower motor would be a side-by-side squirrel cage wheel that blows air into the underside of the stove. The air then travels up the back of the stove (in an air gap) and out the air gap at the top. I don't think I have a good photo of the air gap on the top, but it's the same proportions as the air gap on the sides.

Any help would be super, duper appreciated!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    There are a number of FASCO double barrel fans that might fit in that space. Here is one from AMAZON:

http://www.amazon.com/Fireplace-Blower-GFK-160A-7002-1241-Replacement/dp/B000IGAM9U/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1357682692&sr=8-19&keywords=fasco fan assembly

Get all the dimensions of your space then find the fan that matches. Once you have the fan it should be fairly easy to fabricate brackets. Does the stove require a thermostat? Or would a switched, variable speed fan be OK. The fan listed above has the switches and wiring included and should be easy to work with.

Do you have access to the original manual? It may have some ideas for the mounting brackets and, if necessary, the snap disk location. Look for pictures of you unit via google, a visual might help your design also.

You can find most of the old regency manuals here:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Customer-Care/Manuals/Discontinued-Manuals.aspx

Reading through some of the manuals the older stoves did not have a thermostat.

KaptJaq
  3. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Graingers, Mcmaster-Carr, Burden Sales Corp.
  4. grshavers

grshavers New Member

I also have the Regency R1 fireplace insert. The blower needs replacing.
    Did anyone find a blower that would work for this unit?