Trying to get performance along the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tclapes1

Sep 27, 2009
Madrid
Going on the advices from the fan, today, iv tried to put another on the floor , just infront of the door of the stance so it can push fresh air from the back side of the house, just trhoug a 3,9 foot wide x 20 f and at the end is my mum small bedroom, so i have to make air gets even there.
the main problem, that i see, is that in the meddel of this area, there is an open stairs that goes up, so warm air just go upstairs, instead of reaching my mums romm at the end of the flat floor. im not an expert at this time, hope one day i am but i see much diferences between rooms
as an example, ill write the temperatures en each room of the house….
stove romm 80,6
hall, just beside stove romm 75.2 ºF lwhere i have put the fan on the floor just infront of the entrance of the stove stance
and mums romm at the end 71.6 ºF

Upstairs is another world ( first floor)
hall first floor 71.6 ºF
daughters room 71.6 ºF
and principal room, ( mine ) :( :69,8

well. when i have time ill post som pictures from the plans so you can add some more.
thanks again for your posts and help

Another and important thing is that the roof of the first floor is like triangle at the center of it, its a bit high 14.7 f high.
help please :)
thanks

Stairways are a pain to deal with - just like water wants to flow down a drain, hot air wants to flow up the stairway. Depending on the layout, what you might try is a fan near the ceiling on the 'hot' or stove side of the stairway, blowing at a slightly downward angle toward the 'cold' bedroom side of the stairs. This would help some heat 'jump' from one side of the stairs to the other.

Toni,

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to do (I assume even out the temp of the house), but a 10° spread from the stove to the furthest point in the house as pretty good. Even desirable since most people like their bedroom cooler. I'm having a hard time understanding your layout and problem. If you could post a floor plan (with average temps) and your desired goals, we might be able to help a little more. But as it stands now, I don't think a variation of 10° is all that bad.

so, its fine 10* of differences? it seams to me a lot of diference. As i said before im new at this and as i try to learn as much as i can, i have many doupts about doing the things right. well, wen you say 10 you mean f or c??

I'm using your numbers (F). 10° or 11° is not abnormal. You have to remember you are using a space heater, it is not a central heating system. You can move air around with fans and possibly ducts, but at the end of the day you're still dealing with a space heater and you're still going to have temperature variations. With two levels, I'd say 10 or 11° is pretty normal.

thanks a lot, you know i supose that are silly questions that people like me (newbe) use to ask. its good to know temp variations..... and of course i prefer to sleep cooler and have a douvet on, that sweat all the night so , this is good for me ( no so for my wife :) )
this information moves to me to another post about diferences betwen stances, would be nice to know .... but i dont know if its fine to go on here in this post or just write a new one.
lets see...

New people with silly questions is what many on here specialize in! Keep them coming! It is amazing how many times a new person will ask a question and suddenly it rings a bell: "Gee, I never thought of it that way. Maybe he is onto something." See what I mean?

On the sleeping, we like the bedroom cooler too but there is a huge difference between my wife's comfort level and mine. I have a problem keeping warm and she has a problem of being too hot almost all of the time. In our bedroom we use a mattress heater with separate controls. Her's is always off; mine is not. It works out fine....until her feet get cold.

Backwoods Savage said:
. . .. It works out fine....until her feet get cold.

And then if your wife is like mine, she solves the problem with her cold feet by putting them on me . . . instantly chilling me. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.