trying to identify my old stove in my new house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ataft

Dec 4, 2016
lawrence,mi
Our new house has an old stove I'm trying to identify.It looks like a Jotul #4 but with two side opening doors
See avatar

How much space are you heating and what's the current flue size? The majority of new stoves use 6" flues.

It's less than 1000 square feet and it's to supplement geothermal forced air
The flue is eight inches and the current stove has a adapter between it and the flue ,from6" to 8"

The walls are poured concrete and the alcove is made of full bricks
OK, good to know. That explains the close clearances.

What's on the other side of the concrete block walls? Insulation? If none, you will want some extra firepower in a replacement stove for that space. What's the budget?

The house is built into a hill ,there is earth behind the right side wall and the kitchen is behind the left
Budget wise we don't want to skimp but we're not rich,maybe $1500 at the high end
We had a Vermont Castings Vigilant in our old house which we liked

If you have 8in and experience with a vigilant I would suggest looking for another one. It may seem large for the area you are trying to heat. But as mentioned above uninsulated concrete can absorb a lot of heat.

There are a lot of good stove out there new and old to chose from.

Also keep in mind that if the stove works and does what it needs to give it a whirl for a season or two and that will give you a better idea of how much of a stove you need. It may not be as vertical or attractive as some of the others, but since its there, why not.

If you have 8in and experience with a vigilant I would suggest looking for another one.
In five years of reading nearly every post on this forum, I have yet to read a story about VC that would make me want to buy anything from them. How about yesterday's story, another stove delivered from the factory with damage, and VC telling the buyer to pound sand? Just one of many...

For $1500 or less, I am guessing the OP is looking for used. I have 2 Vigilants, one is for sale now. I am in upstate NY, but know a decent shipping option through Fastenal. Not looking to get rich off the stove, just a reasonable price to a good home.

Drop a line if that interests you.

In five years of reading nearly every post on this forum, I have yet to read a story about VC that would make me want to buy anything from them. How about yesterday's story, another stove delivered from the factory with damage, and VC telling the buyer to pound sand? Just one of many...
The original VC stoves were excellent. That so many have lasted 35+ yrs to the present day is a tribute to their quality and beauty. There are many other stoves to choose from, but on a budget level finding an excellent condition Resolute or Vigilant is not a bad suggestion. The problem is that this is not the best time of year to be looking.

In new stoves there are a lot of stoves to look at. They won't be as attractive, but they are solid heaters. I'd focus on stoves in the 2 cu ft range. For that location I would look at the Pacific Energy Super 27 if your budget can handle it. It will burn well on just a few sticks of wood during mild weather and will put out good heat during cold weather. It has exceptionally good burn times and is very easy to operate and maintain.

Last edited:
Yes, 20 years and 4 changes of ownership ago, VC made some stoves that were very good, compared to others in the market at that time. But today's VC has nothing in common with the company they were decades ago, and old stoves are like old cars. They may be fun to look at, but today's options are so much better, if you need to count on it every day.

The classics forum is for folks that like old cars. ;) The original VC stoves had a lot of nice options, like top loading and thermostatic regulation, but mostly they just worked well, year after year.

That is a later cat model. It is complex, and expensive to maintain. I would keep on looking. If you are on a tight budget consider the True North TN20 or the Englander 50 SSW01. Both are under $1000.

To clarify, I was referring to the original VC not the new one. I agree that they are no longer the company that they used to be.

I assumed possibly incorrectly that the poster was referencing an older original VC that he had experience with.

To clarify, I was referring to the original VC not the new one. I agree that they are no longer the company that they used to be.

I assumed possibly incorrectly that the poster was referencing an older original VC that he had experience with.
I think you're right on your assumption about the original poster. He's in the Classic forum, after all.

It's good to point out, though. VC was once a great stove company, but their products and practices of recent years are less than reputable.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.