Trying to make a manifold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010
I'm doing a two manifold setup, one for supply and one for return, with a pressure bypass valve in the middle of the two. I'm going to use dual runs of 1" PEX joining together at the manifolds with tees. What I'm trying to do is make a manifold that is either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" with 1" lines coming off of it. One 1" line for the water/air exchanger in the plenum with a zone valve, one 1" line for the DHW always on, one 1" line to the garage (which will normally flow to the garage and back without flowing through the heat exchanger out there unless I'm working in the garage), and one spare 1" tap in case I want to add something on.

Should I make this out of black iron? Copper seems like it would be far more expensive for the tees and much harder to sweat together than threading black pipe together. For all of the parts to make this, I've priced out about $250 worth of fittings and nipples including a BUNCH of 1" threaded ball valves because having a valve anywhere you could possibly want one is a good idea. Does $250 sound excessive to make the kind of manifolds I'm thinking about or is there a better way to make them? I did my 1 1/4" black iron pricing from pexsupply.com because the local chain stores only carry up to 1" and they are far more expensive.

I tallied my manifold cost up and it was around 1200 bucks. You start talking 2 inch material it gets pricey. If I was doing it over again, having a pipe cutter/threader on the job would have sped the process up so fast.

Copper is easier than black iron, from my minimal experience. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC00821.jpg
    DSC00821.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 270
Check Ebay for ball valves. They sometimes go for a small fraction of the retail price. Watch the shipping cost, though.

menards has a nice selection of manifolds from $20.00 to $350.00 I think they only carry 1" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.