Trying to sell rough cut white oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike G T

Aug 31, 2019
Wisconsin/Milwaukee area
Hello, I cut down a dead white oak in March and had it rough cut in May. Looking to sell most of the wood.
Question: where/how can I sell it. I've contacted some local lumber yards and they were not at all interested.
They have been in the garage since cut.
I live in southeast Wisconsin. 20210502_152917.jpg20210502_152942.jpg20210502_152951.jpg

This is not regular lumber. Look for fine hardwoods suppliers that cabinet and instrument makers go to.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
It isn't dry yet though so you won't get premium prices at all.

Beautiful wood. A custom woodworker would be your best bet. Those thicker pieces would make nice mantles. It looks like the grain is nice and straight. You have not thought about making some furniture or cabinets yourself?
Also while it is drying you may want to coat the ends with sealer- that will help keep down the splitting and checking.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Sell it as greenwood on Facebook or other market type program
Custom furniture makers would not be interested because it is not kiln dried
unless they owned their own kiln

One thing I can come up with is investigate bourbon barrel makers, white oak is used exclusively by them and it seems every town in the USA today has a whiskey distiller.

One thing I can come up with is investigate bourbon barrel makers, white oak is used exclusively by them and it seems every town in the USA today has a whiskey distiller.
True if you can find one a cooper may be interested

I have a feeling any distiller would want a source that hasn't been next to gas cans and car exhaust. Just saying. Hardwood suppliers a lot of times have regular accounts that are fairly large, on the order of 10s of 1000s of board feet, and may set aside some for the local retail market. At that point the choices for local cabinet makers would range more than just a couple species or sizes, so the convenience and full service would be a factor. If I were to sell sawn dried lumber, I would expect a lower price, a limited number of customers, and limited demand. To get quality hardwoods here, I can drive an hour in a several directions to get it direct from sawmills. That's only a couple of places within a 60mi radius servicing three metro areas. Demand would be an issue for small lots unless the price is right.

Last edited:
Barrel staves are sawn with a slight arc. Straight boards are no good for barrels.
Check around and see if you have a seller of specialty wood to the public (hobby type stuff)

And for next time, I would suggest to first check for demand of what you might saw before you spend money on milling logs...

Thank you for all your replies. Looks like I have some work to do...making phone calls and checking on line/Facebook marketplace.
I do have a workshop in my basement with plenty of tools, just need a planner and jointer...
My wife has a list of things for me to make...I just have so much wood.

I do have a workshop in my basement with plenty of tools, just need a planner and jointer...
My wife has a list of things for me to make...I just have so much wood.

Too bad you are so far away. I have everything you would ever need
for a home or personal woodworking shop for sale. Retired and
figured I would still be in need of it but now prefer seeing it go to a good
home than just sitting here

I love your post and photos. My hunch is what others have said -- a small company that does custom woodworking, or a small hardwood flooring manufacturer that uses local wood (I have one 8 miles from my house).

Flooring manufacturer maybe many of them have kilns. But few small cabinet shops do. And even properly air dried wood really isn't dry enough for cabinet work

And even properly air dried wood really isn't dry enough for cabinet work
Properly dried wood for cabinet use should end up within a few percentage points of the end use. 8-10% is a good figure for indoor use. Air drying just may take longer, a lot longer than oven dried, but there's a good chance in se WI it will get there. One problem here is actually getting enough humidity in the house in winter due to the wood stove and it's venting requirements. The floors were put in with kiln dried 8% wood, yet the equilibrium mc at 30% humidity in winter is less than that (5-6%). In summer, it's more than that (9-10%). Wood furniture and floors need to be able to move, 8% is kind of in the middle.