1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tsunami Warning West US, Alaska, Canada

Post in 'The Green Room' started by bogydave, Mar 11, 2011.

1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    FYI
    Sirens going off in Homer Alaska now. Folks being moved to higher ground.
    All West Coast US, Alaska, Canada
    Wave estimated impact time posted online
    Don't know where to post it.

I'm 256 feet elevation & way up Cook Inlet, so no warning here.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. loon

loon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ont canada
  3. hemlock

hemlock Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    east coast canada
    The news this moring had said that a Nuclear plant lost its cooling water. Hope they got the reactor shut down.
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    So what did you get for a wave in AK? Sure it was bad in Japan and Hawaii saw something noticable, maybe AK got more? Better be a good wave to get you all out of bed so late at night.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    When I looked out back this morning
    my woodshed was still 3/4 full.
    Big earth quakes due in AK & Cal you just never know when.
    TV pics show real powerful wave in Japan.
    Sunny day, no wind, Hint of Spring :)
  6. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Who builds nuc-u-lar reactors on top of the junction of THREE TECTONIC PLATE BOUNDARIES. All bets are off at that point.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sitting on the ring of fire, this is very sobering to watch. My heart goes out to the Japanese people. There may be tens of thousands missing. In some cases entire small cities have either been wiped out or are burning out of control. There is a lot of suffering going on there.

Time for us to stop dinking around and get set up for the big one here. We have a big ravine down the road from us. Kind of odd shaped, because there is no water running down it. I just found out a couple weeks ago that it happened about 300 yrs ago in a giant earthquake that hit this region. Part of the hillside sluffed off and went northwest about 400 ft, right out into Puget Sound. During another older earthquake the south end of Bainbridge Island rose 15-25 ft.!
  8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Looks real bad, looks like the cooling systems are failing in two different plants, not good.

Zap
  9. Mrs. Krabappel

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    BG We were just watching a film that likened the cascadia subduction zone to the one that that triggered the 2004 Sumatra quake just before it took place.
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Loverly. I just updated my earlier post with what can happen here.

So teach, I was wondering something. NASA released a new study that found that the ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica are melting faster than previously thought. That has to be displacing a lot of weight. I was wondering how this would affect plate tectonics?
  11. Mrs. Krabappel

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    That's pretty cool to me 3,000 miles away.

As for the melt affecting the plates-I'm not a geologist, but I don't think so. The increased weight might have a small impact on dense oceanic crusts as they sink under continental crusts. Just a guess though.
  12. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
  13. Wallyworld

Wallyworld Member

Loc:
    Downeast
    I think they said one was built in 1971 and thats the one that blew up
  14. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Its not likely to have much of an immediate effect. There will probably be a certain amount of isostatic rebound associated with the melting, where the continental crust rises from there being less ice weighing it down. From our perspective it might be millimeters per year. Both the Antarctic and Greenland land masses aren't on any major plate boundaries, but they are somewhat close to divergent plate boundaries, where plates spread apart and new oceanic is created.
  15. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  16. homebrewz

homebrewz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East Central, NY
    Well, its not my specific background, but I did have to take a graduate course in tectonics when getting my graduate degree. My thoughts are.. perhaps, but perhaps not. The article didn't mention plate tectonics, but if there is some sort of effect, I think it wouldn't be noticeable for generations. Tectonic activity is typically driven by forces beneath the plates (convection currents from the mantle) rather than forces above them. I think the most significant impact from dumping gigatons of cold, fresh water into the oceans, other than the obvious sea level changes, would be climate change due to the disruption of warmer water currents that help determine weather patterns.

As a geology/hydrology professor I know once said at the end of a long, complicated talk "well, that's science for you.."
  17. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, that agrees with the research and concerns coming out of Wood's Hole Research Center.
  18. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Who is going to benefit from a warmer earth? 120,000 years ago it was about 1.5 degrees C warmer. I wonder what NH was like then. I wouldn't mind warmer Winters, but damn it if I want a bunch of Bostonians trying to muscle in to my state!
  19. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Warmer winters in New England might just mean a longer mud season ;)