tube stove - coal stage: how low?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
once the flame show in the stove is over and there are no secondaries left, i seem to just let my coals burn down at whatever air setting i had it at (normally about 1/3-1/2 open). my question is if i shut the air to as low as it goes (10%?), can that lead to creosote buildup, or by this time of the burn stage, is there effectively no creosote-causing vapors left? it's just a pile of red hot coals...

Once is on coal stage is OK no problem with creosote. Everything is OK at the end. It's up to you which settings. Hope this helps but I am sure someone will give you better explanation.

As mentioned (and surmised I suspect) . . . by the time you get to the coaling stage most -- if not all -- of the moisture has been driven out so there should not be much left to gunk up your chimney with creosote. I typically just leave my air control where it is . . . I sometimes turn it down further . . . but usually I am lazy and just leave it where it is . . . unless of course I am reloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.