Tune after removing spark arrester?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithm1979

Dec 22, 2012
WNY
Just got a Poulan 5020,have run a few tanks through. Have read on here that removing the spark arrester will help any saw breath better. Question is, will anything need adjusted, ie carb, after removing it? I'm very happy with the saw, if it lasts, it's a great value. Just getting into burning and couldn't see spending over twice that for a stihl or husky.

Most any small eng coming down the pipeline now are set too lean to meet emissions. You would need to remove the limit caps, if it even has adjustments, to reset the hi speed valve a tad richer.
Warning you are now in the first stages of CAD ( chainsaw acquisition disease). It can be a rather serious aliment, especially hard on wallet.

Just got a Poulan 5020,have run a few tanks through. Have read on here that removing the spark arrester will help any saw breath better. Question is, will anything need adjusted, ie carb, after removing it? I'm very happy with the saw, if it lasts, it's a great value. Just getting into burning and

Removing the spark arrestor will definitely require a carb adjustment. Which on the 5020 most likely requires a special tool. Question is, why are you looking to tweak a brand new saw that you are very pleased with already?

couldn't see spending over twice that for a stihl or husky.

Spend a day on the trigger of a MS261 or a 346XP/550XP and you will most likely retract that statement. ;). Depends on how much wood you need to cut too. A $600 saw isn't mandatory if you only need 2-3 cords a year. Also those two brands (especially Stihl) hold resale value better than any other brand for sure. Take a look at eBay or Craigslist. 30 year old saws that sell for $200+!

You'll definitely need to re-tune when you remove the spark arrestor. While your at it, port the muffler. Yes, you have to retune when you do that too......

Like MM said above, once you run a pro saw (Stihl, Husky, etc.) for a day doing serious cutting, you'd really appreciate why they cost more......I've ran lesser saws back in the day, I ain't ever going back (and I'm running 30 year old Stihls on an almost daily basis!).

Status
Not open for further replies.