Turmans and softwoods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndylovesHam

Been very happy with turmans pellets the past 2 years. I live 20 minutes from Galax VA where they are manufactured. Can pick up a ton for 225. Its all i burn. TSC pellets are awful in my area and southern states carries AWF hardwood. They dont burn good in my stove. I have a pelpro pp130. Entry level basic stove but suites my needs just fine. Turmans burn hot and clean in my stove. Anyway does anyone know of any softwood pellets available in the Winston Salem area or Roanoke area. Just want to try out a few bags and see if there is that much of a difference between the 2.

Nothing here in the Roanoke valley, in fact I drive 2 hours south to Hillsville, Va to get mine. I get them at 1294 E Stuart Dr. Hillsville, Va. Used to be called Troyer Farm and Garden (276) 728-5064, honestly don't know if they changed the business name since it changed hands about 3 or 4 years ago. Last time I was there the owner mentioned last spring he had just started selling softwood pellets and that he was getting good feedback from customers. I use the hardwood and he charges about $220/ton. Starting to see more places carry pellets in this area the past couple of years. Local Southern States wants over $7 a bag and I believe the cheapest I've seen them for is around $5.75/bag at either Lowe's or Home Depot and it was a brand I wasn't familiar with... which is still more, even taking gas into account to drive down there. It's a little bit of an aggrivation to drive that far, but I'd rather stay with the Turmans which are locally produced.

I have burned Turman pellets for years, always consistent, low ash, good heat; this year I purchased the normal 5 tons, however the pellets seem to have lost quality. They seem to burn faster than they usually do, still have the low ash & good heat, just seem to burn quicker in all of my stoves. I have tried others including Lignetic's Gold & Lignetic's Green Supreme's this year as well & all seem to put off good heat but produce more ash (light fluffy) and seem to have comparable burn times in all stoves as the Turmans used to have. Would be interested to see if others have noticed this, I have talked to two other people local to me that have seen the same results, I'm just wondering if this may be a local trend or if it is wider spread.