1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Twilight-II-B Moisture in Valve compartment

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Mrfire, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Mrfire

Mrfire Member

Loc:
    Vancouver
    I have a Twilight-II-B that is installed in a cold climate situation. What I am seeing is mositure is pooling to the point it is shorting out electrical components under the fireplace. The factory is saying they are not seeing this issue and have no assistance here. Does anyone think that installing some insulation in the valve cavity against the outter portion towards the outside of the fireplace would be an issue. Would this cause any issues?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I suppose you should first figure out where the moisture is coming from.
    Is it from outside precipitation or is it from inside, from cooking & showers?
  3. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    you might block critical air flow if you insulate areas not designed to be insulated

you say cold climate, is it super humid outside as well?
    they claim this thing is hurricane rated and weather tested
  4. sticks

sticks Member

Loc:
    Central IN
    Would advise against insulating too. Been awhile since I had to deal with Heat n Glo . Are you running the pilot?
  5. Mrfire

Mrfire Member

Loc:
    Vancouver
    It gets a bit better when the pilot is running however there is still moisture building under the fireplace. I have been informed it is hurricane rated however 0F and gale force winds are a bit different. Dont have any issues with the wind. All of the moisture is starting on the back wall of the interior of the valve cavity. Im almost wondering if the insulation in the unit was missed? I have seen a few of these installed and they do not seem to be having the same issues.
  6. sticks

sticks Member

Loc:
    Central IN
    I am wondering if there are any spots around the fireplace that insulation was missed.