two piece liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnerd

Feb 16, 2014
Delaware
I had my liner put in today. The installer put it in in two pieces. I don't know why they didn't order a liner that that didn't have to be spliced. They used a 25'er and about six foot piece. I'm a little annoyed and I'm calling the shop tomorrow. Is this a common way of installing a liner?

Maybe they measured wrong the first time??;hm

Will it make a big difference as to the way the liner is able to be cleaned? Does the coupling make a noticeable seam inside?

If it is secured properly, it'll work just fine.

What did they use to connect the two?

If I were doing the job myself and had to do it in two pieces because of however I had the materials, I wouldn't think much about it. But by paying for the job, I too would have the same question. However, since they do sell the approved connections, and so long as it's connected properly, then the liner company has basically laid claim to this being legit.

pen

The piece they used did look like it was made to do the job. Of coarse it wasn't a perfect transition inside the liner. I know we talked about the length of the liner being just under 35'. I got the feeling they knew they'd be splicing it. I would've perfered it to be one piece. They had plenty of time to order one and seems like it would've less work for them. I figure they had no real benefit in slicing it.

I would ask for a couple buck back. The reason they did it was because they had a section left over from a previous job and ordered a cheaper shorter liner. The price difference is profit. I actually used 2 pieces for my liner and it has not been any problem. I have a very short chimney and only needed 13ft of liner. The local stove place sold me two 7ft remnant liner pieces and the coupler to connect them. They did only charge me 1/3 of the price of a new 15ft liner.

Last edited:
No nothing to worry about but if it bothers you complain and you might get a bit of a discount. But it is perfectly acceptable as long as they used the right connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.