two stoves one flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javotte

May 30, 2009
Ireland
Hi!
I wonder whether you could advise me. In our south facing living room, we currently have an open fire which is extremely hungry in terms of fuel and totally energy inefficient. At the back of the room, i.e north facing we have the kitchen which is quite cold. We have only one chimney/flue. We were thinking replacing the open fire with a inset stove and at the back of it -in the kitchen- fit a multi fuel stove which would be connected to the water and radiators. We are tight for space. My question is: Is it possible for the two stoves to be sharing the same flue? Is it OK to have both stoves quite literally back to back to each other?
I have considered the modern stove which can be opened from both sides and which would do both rooms, but those would result in strong drafts between the two rooms so I would rather avoid them...
Thank you for your advice,
Javotte

In North America, it would not be allowed. I don't know about Ireland. Here, it's fine for multiple appliances to share the same chimney structure, but each must have its own separate flue inside that chimney all the way to daylight, and there are requirements to insulate them from one another. The danger is that the exhaust stream from an operating appliance might find its way out of an idle appliance into the living space. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.