1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Two year old rounds cut to length question

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by davenorthshorema, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenorthshorema

davenorthshorema Member

Loc:
    northshore ma
    I have a chance to get a cord maybe more of hardwood rounds cut to length but have to split it. I was thinking of splitting this and stacking it in the back of my seasoned and planned on using this wood in the latter part of the season. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dill

Dill Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwood NH
    It might be ready to go now. Just cause they won't dry as fast in the round doesn't mean they don't dry at all.
  3. caber

caber New Member

Loc:
    Western Maryland
    Good chance by the end of the season. Even in a couple months, it might be dry enough to mix in with other dry splits if you are looking to stretch your supply.
  4. Joey Jones

Joey Jones New Member

Loc:
    New hampshire
    If need be invest in a $299 electric splitter from Ryobi found at HomeDepot ...with this sucker you can split and burn unseasoned wood almost as if you were burning large splits of seasoned wood...Cheaper than oil, at least today.
  5. davenorthshorema

davenorthshorema Member

Loc:
    northshore ma
    I just need one more cord to get through the latter part of the season so I believe then this will be enough time so long as I gather and split this weekend not wasting anytime. I plan to use my maul to split this so I can't wait for the exerciser again
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Sounds like a plan
  7. ericjeeper

ericjeeper New Member

Loc:
    central Indiana
    All depends on how the rounds were stored for the past 2 years. If they were standing on end out in the woods.. They will be wet and far from seasoned. If they were stacked on edge up off of the ground they Might be good for now. A might.
  8. d.n.f.

d.n.f. New Member

Loc:
    Nelson BC
    I just split some white pine which was in log form in a log pile which had been cut down in May. I bucked it six weeks ago. When I split it (yesterday) I was getting visible moisture on my maul. The white pine that I bucked and split in May is reading around 20%. I won't burn this newer stuff till next year.
  9. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I don't know that it's a good idea to burn green wood regardless of the splitter

As far as the wood, It's been my experience that a downed tree can still be wet a couple of years after the cut, but wood cut into stove lengths will season almpst as fast as split wood if stored in a similar manner.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.