Tying Into a 6" Insulated Chimney-Liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm getting another flue from the basement installed in my chase. It'll probably be 6" duratech. While I am currently thinking a boiler of some sort, if I installed a pellet stove, would I need a liner?

I'm getting another flue from the basement installed in my chase. It'll probably be 6" duratech. While I am currently thinking a boiler of some sort, if I installed a pellet stove, would I need a liner?

Hey, Neighbor!
You might want to go with a liner. The exhaust & the
associated fly ash is pushed out by the combustion
blower & the larger diameter you try to push out will
lead to more strain on the blower.
A liner will be easier to clean as well.
If at some time in the future you decide to pull the pellet unit
& replace it with something that requires a 6" chimney system,
you will be all set, once you pull the liner.
My $.02...

Other than if local building codes dictate the extra liner could I see using one. 6" will flow great, it's double wall pipe, I can't really imagine a need to run 4" inside it. Even with Harmans instructions they show one install with a flex piece part way up a tile lined chimney. If that flies yours should. You should have great draft, just make sure there is a cleanout. Check for local codes, sometimes yes you need the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.