Type 2 hearth pad vs. manufacturers spec for floor protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris87654

Nov 30, 2010
MO
The manual for a Drolet Legend says
"If the stove is to be installed on top of a combustible floor, it must be guarded by a non-combustible material as shown on figure 1.3 (see the dotted line area).
FLOOR PROTECTOR* (then gives clearances in a table), with this below
*Steel with a minimum thickness of 0.015’’ (0.38 mm) or ceramic tiles sealed together with grout. No protection is required if the unit is installed on a non-combustible floor (ex: concrete)

The pad I want to use has R = 1.56 - there is no spec for R value in the stove manual. I don't think this stove will get very warm on bottom and it's on ~9" legs, which may be why no R spec. Seems 0.015" steel or ceramic tiles would not protect against heat. I thought this manual said a Type 2 pad would be okay, but it doesn't (must've been for a different stove). Type 2 is "a non-combustible material", but I'm confused why they'd specify sheet metal or ceramic tiles.

Might there be any problem with the inspector or should I clear this with him before I place the stove on the pad?

I submitted a drawing showing clearances etc and inspector says it looks good, but he wants clearance spec info (it's in the manuals I gave him, but I'll email specific pdf pages, which has this info about floor protector).

You're fine. The requirement is for ember protection only. You could use a Type 1 hearth pad and be ok.

Reactions: chris87654
Status
Not open for further replies.