typical stove pipe surface temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

volks-man

Mar 31, 2011
east coast
i just got an IR thermometer after concerns that i was getting my combustables near the stove too hot.
while fooling around i checked stove and pipe temps.

right now my 30-nc is 590 on the top and my doublewall superpipe is 240 @ 2' above collar and 230 @ 4' above. it is burning at almost no primary draft and getting a good secondary burn.
im only just getting the feel of burning our new 30-nc... but my superpipe seems wayyyy hot. with my old stove i could typically put my hand on the pipe for a second or two... but not today (the drywall 18" behind the pipe isn't too cool either).

how hot is too hot for stovepipe?

There is no reliable way to measure flue temps on double wall externally. To measure flue temps on double wall you need to use a probe style thermometer.

W/ 590 stove top temps you are safe. If you get a probe thermometer you want to keep it below 900-1000 about 18 inches up while the stove is cruising. You may exceed that on startup briefly while loading on hot coals. My stove top has seen 900 degrees w/out having the flue gasses hotter than 900. (as an aside, that's accidental, certainly not the norm).

Keep that stove top in the hottest place 750 or under and she'll be good for many years of use.

pen

As Pen said . . . to get a temp that is more or less, sort of, kind of accurate (I view the temps not as absolutes but more of a rough guide) you really need a probe style thermometer for doublewall pipe. Anything over 1,000 degrees F on a doublewall pipe is considered too hot . . . as measured with the probe style thermometer. Unfortunately there really isn't any way to just shoot the temp with an IR gun and then add, subtract, multiply or divide to get the internal temp of the stove pipe.

This stove is going to be pushing a lot more btus than the little CFM. A lot heat is generated right off the top of the stove. FWIW, our double-wall reads about the same a couple feet above the stove when it's really cranking out the heat.

How tall is the flue on this stove? Is there an elbow above or is this a straight up flue?

BeGreen said:
This stove is going to be pushing a lot more btus than the little CFM. A lot heat is generated right off the top of the stove. FWIW, our double-wall reads about the same a couple feet above the stove when it's really cranking out the heat.

How tall is the flue on this stove? Is there an elbow above or is this a straight up flue?

from floor to cap i measure 20 feet. so the pipe + chimney i'd say is 17 feet-ish.
no elbows, 6" superpipe telescopic pipe running straight up to a 6" ceiling supported supervent chimney.

this 30-nc really is growing on me.... but i do so miss my little cfm stove. it wasn't a better stove... it was just easier all around to use.
i'm sure my pipe is fine after reading the posts here but there was never a question with 'the little guy' still hooked up.
that and the little guy never came close to making me worry about the drywall. :)

If you have double-wall pipe 18" away from the drywall (similar to our setup) you have no need to worry about it. It's fine.

BeGreen said:
If you have double-wall pipe 18" away from the drywall (similar to our setup) you have no need to worry about it. It's fine.

thanks! and, i agree. but it was a bit disconcerting to see 125* for the first time on the drywall behind the pipe (18" away).
that and there is one tile on the floor that is positioned just so as to get real close to 130*.

No big deal. Don't sweat it until you see >170F on the drywall.

Status
Not open for further replies.