Tyvek for top covering?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Tired of tarps that are torn and leaking after a year or two, tried " heavy duty" from Harbor Freight. It was shredded after two years. I have no option not to cover it. A lot of trees around, and leaves get in piles if not covered causing fungus and rotten wood wood.
Looking for an alternative to a tarp. So far my best bet would be 6 mill plastic thrown away after wood is dry.
Thinking of Tyvek as it is much stronger and can hold better. The price bites, though.
Any other options to cover? besides building the woodshed.

See if you can locate some used pond liner.

See if you can locate some used pond liner.
Yeah, I was keeping an eye on Facebook listings for billboards and liners. nothing so far

I’ve been trying the harpster brand tarps the last couple years. So far so good. The brown color is the heaviest, and has lots of tie down loops along the way. Just today I got a 6x20 and put it on top of a recently completed pile just in time for tomorrow’s monsoon.

www.tarpsonline.com was where I purchased from.

Heavy duty and harbor freight don’t belong in the same sentence.

I’ve been trying the harpster brand tarps the last couple years. So far so good. The brown color is the heaviest, and has lots of tie down loops along the way. Just today I got a 6x20 and put it on top of a recently completed pile just in time for tomorrow’s monsoon.

www.tarpsonline.com was where I purchased from.

Heavy duty and harbor freight don’t belong in the same sentence.
Not to go there, but we beat the heck out of their knock off pelican cases at work.

I’m sure you could google the type of material grill covers are made from. I’ve seen cheap covers, but my webbers have all had quality fabric covers. If you got a roll of that and cut it half with a band saw, you would have covers for days.

Tired of tarps that are torn and leaking after a year or two, tried " heavy duty" from Harbor Freight. It was shredded after two years. I have no option not to cover it. A lot of trees around, and leaves get in piles if not covered causing fungus and rotten wood wood.
Looking for an alternative to a tarp. So far my best bet would be 6 mill plastic thrown away after wood is dry.
Thinking of Tyvek as it is much stronger and can hold better. The price bites, though.
Any other options to cover? besides building the woodshed.
Too bad you aren't closer, I have plenty of EPDM 0.060" roofing rubber to sell, cheap.
@Highbeam just went with house wrap I think...

Too bad you aren't closer, I have plenty of EPDM 0.060" roofing rubber to sell, cheap.
@Highbeam just went with house wrap I think...
Synthetic roofing underlayment works great so far. 70$ for 250' long and 4 feet wide roll. It's like a light tarp, you can see the weave, with a tyvek backing. It holds water without leaking through so far, though it's only been on my wood and underwater for a couple of weeks.

Tyvek by itself is a different animal. Maybe it holds water, it's supposed to work by letting water vapor pass through but keeping liquid water out. Is that done with millions of little holes? I don't now.

I top cover with steel panels. Talk to a roofing company.. Perhaps you can pick up some of their scrap panels when they reroof a house or building.

20230930_105308.jpg 20230930_105319.jpg

Reactions: mcdougy