Ugg... I don't think I'll ever take elm again (I think that's what it is)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That looke like some kind of Maple to me. I got some thing that looked like that from a tree guy a few years ago. He said it was some kind of Maple. Tough to split and stack (by hand for me) but burned OK.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sly, please do not take my comments wrong and I only wish to help and not criticize.

No sweat!

I've only spent a few hours with this splitter, so I'm still trying to get into my "groove" with it.

I think you're right about finding something to sit on. I have a 3 gallon bucket that would be about perfect (I think a 5 would be too tall, but I'll have to see).

You're also right about me being too fussy about getting the log on the splitter "just right".

-SF

That there is Maple, most likely Silver as has been said earlier. I've had that kind of crazy-ass pieces before and it was Silver Maple. That is some crazy-ass looking splits there!

Since he said it was maple in the post with the video and not the devil wood from before I would venture to guess its Maple.

Backwoods Savage said:
Sly, please do not take my comments wrong and I only wish to help and not criticize.

I'm betting with proper technique you could almost double your output or cut your splitting time in half.

Ya beat me to it Dennis. I was going to thank him for a perfect demonstration of why I don't split vertical. :lol:

Sly - Dennis is on the money if ya just HAVE to split vertical. You worked that log like a dog. ;-P You'll get the swing of the new splitter after a few hours, I'm sure. Its all in the technique.

On the subject wood, I gotta agree with the folk that say its NOT elm. It don't look like elm to me either - more mapley.

Maybe the guy was right then. Maybe it's just one crazy maple tree!

I took the splitter over to my dad's yesterday and we welded a "cow catcher" onto the front of the sled under the wedge. I couldn't run it horizontal very well before because if I set a log on the beam, the flat edge on the front of the sled would hit the wood if I didn't lift the log up.

Now that we've added a small lift to the front of the sled, I should be able to run it horizontal.

-SF

Not a crazy maple tree at all. Most of the wood at the base of a tree is harder to split then something up 10 or 20 feet. Most of my buddies call the bottom 4 feet asswood! And that is with good reason.

I hate to think about not splitting the few biggest pieces, because of all the wood that's there, but if I get to the really big ones, and it just isn't doable... I think they'll become seats for sitting around the fire ring in the yard.

-SF

That is what I call curly maple... I've used it to make gunstocks and even an electric guitar once. It's hard as heck and looks beautiful with a nice hand rubbed finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.