UGH: Carpenter Ants

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a recent storm took down a bunch of trees, some of which had ants, I re-treated the perimeter of the house and sheds with Home Defense. Figured a lot of critters would be on the prowl looking for new digs.
We had some get in our house near the deck that had some punky boards in it.
Replaced the boards, hired a guy to spray, I've only seen dead ones since.
I wouldn't worry to much about it if it's away from the house. Just make sure you don't have any wet wood on your house

When I find carpenter ants I give them all tiny little hammers, saws and a level and put them to work . . . ;)
You just have to hope they don't try to unionize, then you have to worry about giving them benefits.

Reactions: Longstreet
You just have to hope they don't try to unionize, then you have to worry about giving them benefits.

hell... if you get them to unionize.... maybe one could get them to do a voluntary work stoppage... lol

Buy a box at the grocery store and sprinkle it around the pile.
Like you say this does work. We will mix some borax with some icing sugar and stick in the stacks. Works great....

Wood gets split and drying and the ants are out of there in a heartbeat. I have been buried in ants splitting and never seen one the next day. Many times.

A can of raid is by my side as I split! That and my boots take care of most of them.

A can of raid is by my side as I split! That and my boots take care of most of them.

I keep a can of wasp spray handy for the occasional semi dormant carpenter be hive... so far it's happened just once... once was enough.

I keep a can of Moxie nearby . . . mainly because I get thirsty while splitting wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.