Ugliest Tree I Have Ever Split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyheater

Minister of Fire
These were taken in Alert Bay, BC in the spring of 2009 at my mother-in-law's house. The history. The lot for the house was cleared in 1948, making this tree 61 years old but it was well fed as it grew very close to the septic tank. It was topped in the early 60s and again in the mid 70s. BC Hydro was only to happy to take it down as it had grown four separate good size tops and was 110 feet tall. It had power lines on two sides and my mother-in-law's house on the third side.
This is the toughest tree that I have ever split. The local coffee shop had a pool going on how much of it could be split, if any or would I just give up! For a retired guy, it took three pretty good days to accomplish the task. The tree produced about 6 to 7 cords which included cutting limbs down to 2 1/2 " in diameter into firewood lengths.

Allan

Attachments

• Tree 032.jpg
    Tree 032.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 579
  • Tree 036.jpg
    Tree 036.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 578
  • IMGP1420.jpg
    IMGP1420.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 578
  • IMGP1414.jpg
    IMGP1414.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 575
  • IMGP1416.jpg
    IMGP1416.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 595
  • IMGP1402.jpg
    IMGP1402.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 584
  • IMGP1426.jpg
    IMGP1426.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 593
  • IMGP1417.jpg
    IMGP1417.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 566
Thats some awesome work you did there, what kind of tree is it?

Allen;
6 - 7 cords of cut & split spruce is some serious work, one that size even more,
I'd need a bigger saw for that one.
looks like some noodling done too, lots of wood chips
Cool equipment too. :)
Good job.

Carbon_Liberator said:
you got the right splitter for the job, even comes with it's own built in winch system, nice.
I can remember several times when that would have come in mighty handy...

Great Job... And that winch system on the splitter is sweet, great ideal.

chvymn99 said:
Great Job... And that winch system on the splitter is sweet, great ideal.

+1 That winch system would be be a back saver on heavy logs.. Wish I had that back when I was handling 2' diameter oak.. All you need is a milk crate to sit on to complete that set up :)

Ray

Alot of work there, Allan. Great job on it! I'm also fascinated by that cool splitter.

That is one huge tree to get 6-7 cord of wood from it! Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.