Uh, Oh.....Leaky pipe. Your thoughts on this.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troutchaser

Jan 1, 2010
Zone 6
lopi leyden 2009
We've gotten over 4" of rain in the last 36 hours. Blowing sideways right now. Anyway, after stuffing myself in IL today, I arrive home to this.
Only thing that has changed since last year with NO LEAKS was that I took the pipe apart up on the roof in OCT. Doing so, I dinged the cap and it is so slightly cockeyed. I didn't think it was a problem, until now. Doesn't look out of line from the ground.
Would you guess that is the culprit? Or maybe the pipe connection that I put back together?
The water is running out of the pipe through a connection gap just below the ceiling.
I plan to light up later. 23* by morning.

Attachments

• leaky pipe and Idaho flies 003.jpg
    leaky pipe and Idaho flies 003.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 531
  • leaky pipe and Idaho flies 002.jpg
    leaky pipe and Idaho flies 002.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 498
Could be hard, driven rain coming in. We need to see how the topside storm collar and flashing are sealed to tell if there is an issue there. As for the inside pipe, it's hard to tell how the other pipe joints are oriented, but the crimped end of the pipe is supposed to be pointing down, toward the stove to keep this kind of dribble inside of the pipe.

The collar and flashing look good to me. I was just up there in this hellish weather with the flashlight to make sure something catastrophic hadn't happened.
But this is water running down the inside of the pipe.
It's a DW pipe, which sort of confuses me on how it's getting out of the inner pipe.

hey troutchaser...i had the same thing 2 weeks ago and was due to a driven rain that was forced by wind under the pipe cap but down into the inside of the double wall pipe. only place for it to go was down the outside of the single wall pipe where it makes its transition.(from double wall pipe to single wall pipe) yes, the crimped end of the single wall pipe should be pointing down to allow the flow of any creosote etc. to go into stove but then again, i never had creosote problems. one other reminder is to keep the storm collar low to flashing and i always seal around storm collar too. cold here again tonight...-5f now but also windy so there is that damn wind chill thing.

Be sure to check for a bead of silicone on any seams on the Class A outside the house. I had a lead down the exterior of my Class A, as water was following the outside seam down into the support box where it would collect then drip onto the stove top. The installer had only run the bead 1/2 way up the seam, and it was letting a trickle of water down in behind it. Running it the rest of the way cleared up the problem.

Is that pipe installed backwards? Like BeGreen states, the crimped end should be down and not up. If backwards, this will be an ongoing problem.

looks like he has the crimps going the wrong way.

What? This was a professional installer that did this.
I posted another pic of the interior pipe connection. I guess that chalky crap is from the stove sealer I used in some gaps- dissolving.

This interior pipe is DW. How can the water be getting outside of that?
And now I have a leak in the ceiling of the washer/dryer room!!! All together now: When It Rains...... It Pours.

Attachments

• leaky pipe and Idaho flies.jpg
    leaky pipe and Idaho flies.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 386
Troutchaser said:
I posted another pic of the interior pipe connection. I guess that chalky crap is from the stove sealer I used in some gaps- dissolving.

And now I have a leak in the ceiling of the washer/dryer room!!! All together now: When It Rains...... It Pours.

One thing I've learned is that water always wins! The other thing I've learned is that professionals aren't always the be all know alls that we would hope they are.

i would consider calling the installer and letting him know of this. by looking at the close-up of the two pipes connecting, it appears the cripmed end is going up. the crimped end should always point down, preventing ANYTHING from coming out of the connection....

RedGuy said:
Troutchaser said:

One thing I've learned is that water always wins! The other thing I've learned is that professionals aren't always the be all know alls that we would hope they are.
You got that right!

On the DW (double wall) pipe I have, the crimps on the interior pipe point down, and on the exterior pipe it points up.
If your flashing is vented under the storm collar, wind could be blowing water into those vents which would allow it to run down the outside of the double wall pipe.

Rob

Is there any possibility of getting some pictures posted of the flue cap so that we can eyeball that setup too?

Yes, BeGreen, and thanks guys. I'll get up there tomorrow and go over everything. Take a pic of that bent cap and get your thoughts there. I actually bought a new cap tonight.
Stopped by the stove shop and my salesman said he'd really like to see pics of the install. I'll email to him tomorrow.
Bottom line is that I've got a bad water leak somewhere, not just a drop getting in here and there. And it wasn't a problem last year.

FWIW, the leak in the W&Dryer; room was coming from the upstairs toilet. One down and one to go.

Here are a few more pics. The first is the spot where the water was exiting to the outside of my interior pipe. You can fainltly see two, whitish lines there.
Collar on roof looks very good to me.
Cap is obviously bent, but water is still going to have to defy gravity to get into the pipe.
That band holding two sections together isn't all the way up on the lip. Possibly a problem, though I would be surprised.

Attachments

• leaky pipe and Idaho flies 006.jpg
    leaky pipe and Idaho flies 006.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 257
  • leaky pipe and Idaho flies 002.jpg
    leaky pipe and Idaho flies 002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 246
  • leaky pipe and Idaho flies 003.jpg
    leaky pipe and Idaho flies 003.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 261
  • leaky pipe and Idaho flies 005.jpg
    leaky pipe and Idaho flies 005.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 243
Yes, the outside looks ok from what shows in the pics.

Is this Metalbest DSP pipe? If so, that has an innerwall crimp and an outerwall crimp. The finishing band just below the support box is to cover up the outerwall crimp. That doesn't solve your issue, but it would explain the crimp direction.

Boy, I don't know, BGreen. That's more than I know right now.
I've sent some pics to the stove shop. They might answer your question for me..
I'm going to replace with a new cap and tighten up that band.
Thanks for all the help.

I made an adjustment to the cap, re-banded the two pipe sections above the roofline, applied silicone caulking to everything,
including a few spliced shingles, and had no leaks after nearly 2" of rain last night.
Yes, I believe the interior pipe is upside down. Waiting for an explanation on that. Don't guess it hurts if I'm not leaking water.

Anybody know how to get those white, mineral streaks off the black pipe?

During blowing rains I sometimes see water in my stove. I think it just comes in the cap. If a joint is reversed and and water came in the cap it would work it's way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.