Uh-oh, looks like another buggered INstall.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the builders insurance would have to cover it if the owners didnt. But i always look at it like what would i do if my family was going to live there.
That is why we love and respect you so. ==c

Did you pull the ceiling trim? I'm wondering how the pipe is supported?

How long ago was this done?

Did you pull the ceiling trim? I'm wondering how the pipe is supported? How long ago was this done?
I didn't pull the trim yet, but have been meaning to. I've been wondering why it's pushed down like that. Like they tried to screw it to some wood and missed on that corner. If you recall, that other guy that installed my BIL's chimney just had one screw into one rafter and the trim pulled down like that; The weight of the chimney push the unsecured side down. I could fix that from the attic...this, I'll have to tear up some drywall. :(

Well the builders insurance would have to cover it if the owners didnt.
This was supposedly an Amish builder, so maybe they figured the Lord would protect them from lawsuits. ;) I don't know how Amish they really were, though....they had plenty of power tools. I shoulda gone over there and pulled on the guy's beard to see if it was fake. ;lol

Reactions: zig and Wildo
This was supposedly an Amish builder, so maybe they figured the Lord would protect them from lawsuits. ;) I don't know how Amish they really were, though....they had plenty of power tools. I shoulda gone over there and pulled on the guy's beard to see if it was fake. ;lol
LMAO!

all the amish contractors here use power tools and their wood shops are all air tools

All depends on the local Amish church's Ordnung . . . the Amish in my town use air powered tools with air compressed from windmills and battery powered handtools with batteries charged by solar collectors or small windmill turbines.

All depends on the local Amish church's Ordnung . . . the Amish in my town use air powered tools with air compressed from windmills and battery powered handtools with batteries charged by solar collectors or small windmill turbines.
Here they charge the tools at the jobsite and it is fine they also use corded tools on jobsites. They usually use gas or diesel compressors for air with a huge storage tank so they only have to run it a few times a day. One benifit is you can usually pick up the electric motors they pulled off at a pretty good price

bt yeah it varies allot there are some here that drive cars and have power in thei3 house and some that dont use any modern stuff not even the steel wheel tractors that most use here

I like that approach; Our power is given to us by God through renewables, it doesn't come from the earth-plundering, satanic power company. ==c

Last edited:
some that dont use any modern stuff not even the steel wheel tractors
What do they do, make wheels by bending around the trunks of rubber trees? ;)

I recently had to modify an install that was done by the amish builder. They bought a new stove for their new house that was built. They used a roof support, which is fine. I could see drywall in that tiny gap between the class A and the ceiling trim. I removed it and cut the drywall back 2". All the other clearances were met though. Unfortunately they used one of those crappy rubber boots on the roof, so I'll go back at some point to repair that inevitable metal roof leak.

Ohh, and their old house burned down, hence the new house. Go,figure...

Wow. I'm upset about my install 3 years ago, but I think everything was installed safely. They just enjoyed elbows and horizontal runs and picked the worst possible point to bring the flue out of the house.

I'd be absolutely besides myself if I came home to that.

Thanks guys. I'm going to have nightmares tonight after reading this thread.:(

Woody Stover: "...he inspected the Benjamins the guy had in his outstretched hand." That's a good one. And, probably true.

Status
Not open for further replies.