Uh oh...out of fuel oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
In anticipation of getting rid of fuel oil and going to either a heat pump with propane backup or all electric, I ran it very close on fuel oil. Well, turns out I was too early. Ran out and it will be 34F tonight. Hope the Jotul keeps up tonight.

Have good night on the couch.

I go to the gas station and buy 10 gal of fuel oil every 2 weeks to keep my hot water going since my 30 keeps up w/ my heat needs. Get a gas can and go get some fuel oil (lower taxes) off road diesel, or kero (if you really want that furnace to work and it's your only option)

pen

Yeah - 5 gallons of diesel will get you through 1-3 nights.

Going out today to get some - didn't want to leave the house at 10pm and get diesel - I always seem to get some on me.

yes, there is priming involved on mine after having run out.

House got down to 62F - we survived, but the wife was none too happy. :D

You might have to bleed the line. Depending on the unit, there should be a fitting that looks like a bleeder on a brake caliper. You will want to turn your thermostat so the furnace will run. If it runs fine and doesnt shut off on its own then your dont have to bleed the line. If it shuts off on its own like shortly after it tries to fire, there should be a safety type switch on the furnace somewhere that makes it fire again, you will want to open that bleeder while its trying to fire, but close it as soon as it shuts off, just like bleeding brakes, keep hitting that switch to make it try to fire while opening the bleeder. Once you get a flow of oil, shut the bleeder off and fire it again, it might take 1 or 2 times to fire after that, but it should go.

Heck 62*, we keep our house at 60* during the night, and 55* during the day when no one is there.

sounds exhilarating, you will enjoy the heat pump.

I keep the thermostat set at 62F when we are home, and 55F at night.... yep, Im cheap.

Oh course with the fireplace we will get it up to the mid to upper 60's

I keep the house at 55 and no higher than 60-62. With the fireplace, it's still 62 tops, it's just warmer in one area :)

Kerosene will work too. You'll likely have to bleed the line. I'm quite adept at it. :red:

I got very low and our temps are up so I shut the furnace off about a month ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.