Q&A Un-used metal chimney - does it degrade quickly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an old Earth Stove and a pre-fab fireplace- both with metal chimneys. Neither have been used for years. Someone told me that if stoves with metal chimneys aren't used- the chimney will rust out and using the stove would cause a chimney fire. Is this true? If so- what do I need to do to make sure I can use the stove & fireplace safely in an emergency (e.g. no electric power)? Thanks!

Answer:

You need to have a chimney sweep take a look at the condition of the stoves and flues. Although lack of use does not rust out chimneys- certain environments such as salty or moist air can shorten their lives. A chimney professional should be able to give you an indication of their current condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.