Unable to carry 40-pound pellet bags into house from truck - looking for ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Maine Woods Pellets(Athens, ME) and Northeast Pellets(Ashland, ME) have produced 25lb bags. They might be tough to find though. If interested you might want to call up the plants directly and see if they are available near you. I've seen the 25lb MWPs at a CN Brown office in Brewer. That doesn't help if you're attached to Vermonts though (a very good pellet).

Last edited:
I am a volunteer with my local Boy Scout Council, and serve on the Advancement Committee, specifically working with Scouts who are figuring out and completing an Eagle Rank Project. Eagle Rank projects must:
plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service

project helpful to any religious institution, school, or community.

Unfortunately for this situation, this cannot be considered for an Eagle Rank Project because it is for an individual.

However, it is perfectly acceptable for the local Troop to be contacted and asked to help out. Each Boy Scout in a troop must complete a certain amount of Service Hours to move on to the next rank.

Check out this website to find a local troop: https://beascout.scouting.org/
Make sure you search under the Boy Scout tab because the Cub Scouts are too little to carry 40 pound bags!!

Hope this helps,
Cindy

mainemama

They may be next to impossible to find, especially in the brand you desire, but some companies make 20lb bags of pellets. The place I used to get pellets from used to carry them. The gal called them Granny Bags, although that is not the official name.

Hi Scott
Can you blow the pellets into the hopper right out of a bag of pellets with that corn cleaner? That would save alot of time.

IMG_0573.JPG

We have had our Harman pellet stove for 8 years now and love it; however, both my husband and I have developed knee and back problems since we first got the stove and are finding it very difficult to lug those 40-pound bags into our house from our truck (stairs to climb while carrying the pellets into the house make it difficult and hard on the knees). We bought a dolly but the problem is getting it up our four front steps and then over the riser into our house. Wondering if anyone has used a ramp? Our thought is to back our truck as far as we can get it to our porch steps, with the hope of using a ramp to connect the ramp from the tailgate of the truck to our porch landing, use a dolly to transport the pellet bag (or two) via the ramp and into our house. Has anyone tried this and/or does anyone know where such a ramp could be purchased? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
So, basically you need help getting the pellets from the truck to where you store them in the house, right? Would it be a once-a-year endeavor? If so, hiring someone to bring them into the house makes the most sense. Moving the bags in the house is easily figured out. I just think that by the time you buy or build something you could have paid to have them moved for many years :)

Using those ramps I linked to I have moved several 400+ pound stoves in and out of the house by backing the truck in front of the steps and bridging to the door sill with the ramps sitting near level. If you can do that with the pellets you could just roll the dolly off the truck straight through the door.

a powerfull shop vac with a long hose, keep the vac near the stove, when you need pellets run the hose out to the storage suck up a bag or so. pop the top off the shop vac and scoop what you need into the stove.

I have a Cornvac that is attached to my bulk pellet storage primarily for my Windhager Biowin pellet boiler.
I have a couple of pictures in the boiler forum. It is a different design to the one Scott posted.
I wanted bulk storage/ delivery for the pellets but I still wanted to use my insert pellet stove and not have to buy bags. It sucks the pellets out of the bulk storage like the Biowin into an opaque container using a large shop vac. It is mounted on a metal rack and all you need to do is place the pellet bucket underneath and open the sliding gate on the container.
I had to use a larger diameter hose to suck the pellets than they use for corn. Some pellets would otherwise block the hose.
You could use a similar setup once you have unloaded the pellet bags. Suck the pellets directly from the bags as you need them.

Ad on a bulletin board at the grocery store?
Ask a neighbor kid?

Ad on a bulletin board at the grocery store?
Ask a neighbor kid?

This kind of thing. Or the church group or scout troop (or whatever group of the like).

If I was to the point of not being able to pick up, carry & move 40lb bags of pellets (I feel like I'm there now the way I feel today, but that's beside the point), I would not fool around with dolleys & trucks & ramps etc.. Way too much potential for injury. Just get them all landed to your staging area, and line up some help. An hour later & you're done, without lifting a finger or taking a bad spill, with very minimal cost. And you're helping a neighbourhood kid or relative find a bit of spending money.

No brainer IMO.

You say 'from the truck to the house' so you are talking about moving a ton of pellets AT ONE TIME, not vacuuming a bag once a day into the house from outside storage. Like many others have said, you don't need any fancy equipment, ramps, or expensive gadgets. You just need some manpower. Every kid with a car wants a full tank of gas!

Reactions: ChandlerR
You say 'from the truck to the house' so you are talking about moving a ton of pellets AT ONE TIME, not vacuuming a bag once a day into the house from outside storage. Like many others have said, you don't need any fancy equipment, ramps, or expensive gadgets. You just need some manpower. Every kid with a car wants a full tank of gas!

Thats fine and good and all..But Most people at that age has a limited income (SS).

$20 bucks is probably more than enough to get it done.

If I lived close by i'd come do it for free. my gym membership expired. :/

Thats fine and good and all..But Most people at that age has a limited income (SS).

So why spend it on trucks dolleys & ramps etc. (and corn vacs and bins and whatever else) that still leave one set up for potential injury? I don't think we're looking at big dollars here.

So why spend it on trucks dolleys & ramps etc. (and corn vacs and bins and whatever else) that still leave one set up for potential injury? I don't think we're looking at big dollars here.

They already bought a dolly..
They want help of how to get it up the steps and over the Door Jam.
Using a board and a rope and pully to pull it up and over the steps should be sufficient.
I don't think they are looking for using a bunch of vacuums etc.

If the lady would put her town in her signature, she may be able to get help right from the forum.

Tom C.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
What you(mainemama) described is the best method. That way you go right from the truck to the top of the steps. Many hand carts convert to 4 wheel operation. Mine does and it makes it easy to roll heavy items without having to balance it.

You can also Google on Handicap ramps.
There are many options.
Had to do some research for elderly parents. Went with portable telescoping which served our purpose (they don't travel without assistance).

Status
Not open for further replies.